2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

cb antenna mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
twin 102 inch ss whips for me fender mount

Old 01-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never seen a glass Firestick for ham bands. Check out HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) for some catalog reading for radios and antennas and costs.

I used to run Realistic CB radios or Cobras- now, considering my CB's go back to the 1970's I can't speak to many of the modern ones. Mine can be modified and repaired unlike todays compact circuits.
CB is 11 meter, there is a 10 meter band in Ham but the most basic license will not let you have operating rights on it. I'm not sure if there are any 10 meter radios that could be modified to monitor the CB band as well, but in all honesty, you probably will not want to once you have been a Ham for a while.
There is a different class of people on Ham bands from CB bands- no whining kids, no swearing, no rude interruptions, no hold the key down/empty carrier for hours...
Being a license required thing Ham is also monitored and enforced- you must announce who you are in intervals (just like FM radio stations) and when rules are broken you can be tracked and fined. Ham operators have a call sign issued by the FCC which is unique to them in the world.

Now if you do a lot of highway driving the CB is a nice for traffic updates but the Ham is much better for conversation.
Search the web for a local Ham club and contact them, tell them you're interested in learning about Amateur radio- they will be more than happy to answer any questions you have and likely invite you (and your son) to a club meeting/gathering or a club member's station to actually operate and experience it.
It's in Amateur radios interest to get more people involved, and we do tend to be a friendly bunch no matter where in the world we come from.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM

Also- dual antenna setups are....well, they have a purpose but for CB's they are mostly for looks.

Semis run dual antennas to get the signal around the trailer, unless there is an obstruction to the antenna duals are looks. No reason to run duals for Ham tho if you run several bands you will need a multi band antenna or run multiple antennas with an antenna sequencer.

One can also make a directional antenna array with multiple antennas (say, 4 antennas on the compass points) and selectively grounding one or more to direct the signal direction.Not much use mobile tho.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:19 PM

2m mobile ham setup scenario...

I have found as a basic 2M mobile ham setup that will run $150 average for the transciever and the antenna. Does anyone have any suggestions for mounting this setup? I was thinking about buying the "shelf it" kit which is a storage area that bolts on to the visor area, to mount the yaesu and running the coax from behind the cab mounted on the bed rail. I realize that isnt optimal regarding interference, however, it is a 4 ft antenna. Would that be clearance enough to still have good tx/rx? Im hesitant to mount the glass antenna on the front fender because i may hit a branch etc., and crumple the fender. Also, has anyone setup multiple antennas on a mobile ham?

The setup is:
firestik
2 METER 5/8 WAVE ANTENNA
Model 2M-4
________
YAESU
FT-1900R
2M 55W MOBILE W MH48A6J DTMF MIC
----------------
Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok, so I finally got around to looking at mounting the cb and antenna. I want to put it on the front left fender like has been suggested. How have you guys done this? Can you post a couple good, detailed pics? Did you make a bracket? Or is there one available for purchase?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:29 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
This is the part you're looking for.
http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss...unt-p-582.html

Not recomending this dealer, Just did a quick google search for "Firestik fender mount Dodge Ram"
Your local CB shop be able to get you one, or order it online.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 AM

I went to the junk yard, and got the stock am/fm mount. I then got a Firestick antenna, and modified the am/fm mount, to work with the Firestick. I mapped, and cut, the location on the left fender, to match the right fender. If you look at my pictures, you will notice the dual antennas. Before I traded in the 01, I removed the set up. Now that I have the 03, I will do the same thing.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks shovelhead. I think I can fab up something similar to that.
And Firestorm, that looks great! Good idea. I wold do that too, but I don't trust myself to drill a hole in the fender without messing it up. Yours looks sweet though.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:14 AM

I went with the 102" Stainless steel on mine with a chrome ball mount and a stainless 6" spring. I get about 12 miles for a range on a middle of the road Cobra.

Name:  Mikewheels2.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  145.8 KB
Old 03-04-2011, 03:54 AM

Thanks Kerry. Just have to take it slow and easy doing it. I just havent had the time to do the new truck yet.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:19 AM

If you don;t want to drill holes in the steel for a ball mount like that use the SS whip and a bumper chain mount.
Here are some other styles http://www.rightchannelradios.com/al...-cb-mounts-86/
and this place makes some really nice stealth antennas http://www.licenseplateantenna.com/
Also, I have to get technical but you might want to read this
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Bumper-mnts.htm