2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Can I trust Walmart to do just an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with almost everyone else. Do it yourself. I took my Intrepid to Wally and it came out with a stripped drain plug and a loose filter. Needless to say, i had to buy an oversized drain plug and have to use silicon every oil change now. IMO, do it yourself and save some money and agrrivation.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:40 PM

the one time i took my pathfinder in to have them balance and rotate the tires they ended up breaking the key to one of my locking lugnuts. trust them with a multi thousand dollar engine when they screw up a $10 part? i dont think so tim.

truth be told i dont trust ANYONE, much less a "lube" center with workers who barley make min wage.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:22 PM

The previous owner of my truck installed one of the dain plugs with the valve like geno's sells. I just save my old rotella bottles and fill one up turn off valve and fill the rest up put on a new filter very little mess and im usually done in 10-15minutes.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Banned

around here a lot of people go to autozone with their drainpan and the rest of their stuff and change their oil in the parking lot. then take the pan inside and dump it into the sump and their done.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:09 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by patdaly
There are enough no's on here now, let me add mine.

Do you trust someone else to properly tighten the drain plug and to properly tighten the oil filter on your 10-15 thousand dollar engine that vibrates like a cheap intimate toy?

I don't
It's OK to say XXXXX Admin Edit: WRONG! ,,,,,, It's NOT
Old 10-10-2007, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
One of the best mods not mentioned here is the Fumoto Drain Valve from Genos... you can control the flow of that oil and not make a mess!!
I bought one of those. When I looked at how low it would hang, I decided not to use it. I had a nightmare of hitting something on the road and the Fumoto breaking off. I went with the other drain plug from Geno's.. The one with a 9/16" hex head on it. Torqued it to 44 lbs and sold the Fumoto on Ebay.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:58 PM

Well it just so happens I have some extra 5 gallon buckets that will fit under the truck.......and I've heard enough and thought about it enough that I went out and bought 12 qts of oil yesterday. Now I need to go get a Baldwin or Fleetguard filter. Thanks for all the posts on this.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know it's the "spec", but 44ftlb is pretty stupid tight for a drain plug. FWIW mine has been torqued to 30 and has been that way for years. Actually the common rail drain plug says 37 right on it. And on the quick lube places....it's just like any other service industry. You'll find good and bad in them all. For some reason most think that some kid bringing in peanuts has the mind frame that he's simply there to do a sub standard job. Some lube places also have a "premium" choice service that will feature factory or factory approved oils and filter. Shop around, find someone you are comfortable with. Ask the locals who they use.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:55 PM

Nope, do it yourself. The wife took my pickup to wallyworld for an oil change a few months back. She pulled the truck out, popped the hood (good woman) to check it and no oil. She also said that the filter wasnt screwed down properly. I'll be doing it myself from now on. At least that way, if I screw something up, I've got no one but myself to blame.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
I would and normally do my own cars but with having to handle 12 qts, ain't gonna happen with what equipment I have. I'm considering having them do the fuel filter too.

I'll do my own tranny fluid & filter.........I love a good mess.

I'll make sure to get to Wally World when they open so hopefully the most experienced mechanics are on duty.

What say you? Good .....bad or indifferent?

if you have to ask, you all ready know the answer.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:02 PM

well to add to all the other guys no's, i would never ever take any of my vehicles to a wal-mart service center! im a tech at a dealership and know some guys that i used to work with that work at walmart now. theres a reason for that. they were the worst lube techs at our shop and were fired because of it! well now there at walmart and come to find out there the top techs there! NO THANK YOU! change your own fluids and filters its easy enough and it will help you get to know your vehicle better. i love walmart but not for the service center. fleetgaurds and rotella!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:36 PM
xmr

I have had the fumoto drain valve for almost 2 years with no problems. It really does make changing the oil easy. I have the sure drain on my wifes Honda Odssey and it is the pits I plan on chaning it out for a fumoto.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:37 PM

well im gonna say i agree with all the other no's. i would not let walmart touch my truck, not even to balance the tires.

the only service place that has touched my truck is a Goodyear/Gemini shop here in town.

as soon as my truck went in i was standing at the window watching them. they didnt use a fleetguard filter (next time they will cause im gonna order a case from Fleetfilter.com), however they did use Rotella when they put the oil in.