2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Can I trust Walmart to do just an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I trust Walmart to do just an oil change?

I would and normally do my own cars but with having to handle 12 qts, ain't gonna happen with what equipment I have. I'm considering having them do the fuel filter too.

I'll do my own tranny fluid & filter.........I love a good mess.

I'll make sure to get to Wally World when they open so hopefully the most experienced mechanics are on duty.

What say you? Good .....bad or indifferent?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I refuse to let just anyone change my oil, I have dealt with stripped drain plugs...cross threaded filters or badly dented filters when they installed them like a gorilla.

Low oil...or wrong oil used and you definately don't want their cheap generic filter or Fram junk on your engine.

Go to walmart, buy the BIG drain pan and get your self a fleetguard filter. Do it yourself, it is less mess than the tranny filter

JMHO
Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned

im sure wally world has some guys that will do a fine job. you can always keep an eye on them from the waiting room. another though would be to take it to more of a mom and pop type estblishment.

if i were you, once they are done, i would check the level to be sure and i also mark all my filters with milage and date to ensure the new one is being installed!

brett
Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Go to walmart, buy the BIG drain pan and get your self a fleetguard filter. Do it yourself, it is less mess than the tranny filter

JMHO
Agree, if your willing to do a tranny drain and fill oil changes on these trucks are a breeze.

My method
5 gal bucket under the pan, no jacking required, just an old laundry soap bucket.
3/8" drive ratchet to loosen the drain plug.
1 gallon ziplok to slip over the oil filter when removing, mine are hand tightened and rarely require a wrench to get off and never leak.

Drain oil, replace filter. Done in under 20 minutes with 3, 1 gallon jugs of Rotella oil with a big funnel to aid in the pouring of new oil. Back work is less than 5 minutes.

Wal-Mart or any oil change shop will never see my truck or the Durango. I've only used them twice in the past and both times I had to take it back for leaking oil filter and excess oil mess causing drips. Pet peeve (sp) oil will not hit my garage floor unless I cause it. I use a scrap cardboard as an oil catch for the filter part but with the zip lock bag I've never had a mess.

Save yourself some money, my oil changes cost about $40 - $45.

Oh ya, any chain parts store will take your used oil free, I just take my 5 gal jug in with the lid and pour it in the tank to reuse next time.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 PM

NO!. Rotate my tires maybe. They don't pay their help enough, and nowadays you get what you pay for.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Go to walmart, buy the BIG drain pan and get your self a fleetguard filter. Do it yourself,
BINGO!

It is so easy to change oil on one of these trucks (and I have a 2WD that sits low compared to most),,,,, it's not worth taking a chance on a WallyWorldLubeTech screwing something up that is going to cost you big bucks in the end.

As 2500Ram stated, the filter only needs to be hand tightened and you don't need to torque the drain plug to 5000 ft lbs! I've read they can strip real easy. 15-20 minute job and you will know it's done right.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by RATTLINRAM
BINGO!

It is so easy to change oil on one of these trucks (and I have a 2WD that sits low compared to most),,,,, it's not worth taking a chance on a WallyWorldLubeTech screwing something up that is going to cost you big bucks in the end.

As 2500Ram stated, the filter only needs to be hand tightened and you don't need to torque the drain plug to 5000 ft lbs! I've read they can strip real easy. 15-20 minute job and you will know it's done right.

You said it there alright! ------When I had to have mine changed, ONCE, when I had my shoulder surgery and couldn't do it, the next time I did it, I had to use a 24 inch cheater to break the drain plug loose . Never again, if I do have to, it will be a full service garage and I will specify the pan bolt be torqued to the right spec. which is 44 ft. lbs.

Man, I'd do it my self if I was you, especially the fuel filter to. I can see a train wreck there. IMHO
Old 10-09-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A close friend who delivers travel trailers with his CTD and is constantly on the road uses Super Walmarts exclusively to change his oil.
Difference is he supplies the oil, filter and tells them how much to use.
He has never had a problem.
Walmart charges $10 which is a pretty good buy considering they deal with the waste oil.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use a 5 gallon bucket to dump the oil in. Fits well under the oil pan. Takes all of 15 minutes, and I know exactly what I did. Driving to Walmart to have it done would take more time than doing it.
-P
Old 10-09-2007, 10:51 AM

well they couldnt balance my $100 tire properly the first 2 times, im surely not letting them touch my $10,000 engine. Just my .02

Tom
Old 10-09-2007, 10:53 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One of the best mods not mentioned here is the Fumoto Drain Valve from Genos... you can control the flow of that oil and not make a mess!!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:00 AM

I bought my truck with 51,000, I change my oil ever 5000 in the truck. First two oil changes I paid to have it done, on my second trip I told them to change the air filter if it was dirty.....well they brought me a black air filter and asked "is it dirty". There was another guy sitting there in with a Powerstroke getting his oil changed as well. He laughed when I replied "does it look dirty to you?" the kid looked at be funny and said "yeah". My final reply was "change it then". I rolled by eyes and decided to change all my oil changes etc myself. Atleast I know it is done right because I did it myself. My truck now has 82,000 on it. Don't trust someone else to do it that you don't know unless you trust that it is done wrong.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:24 AM

To answer your question....NO. Do it your self. It's easy and lots of instructions above.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
There are enough no's on here now, let me add mine.

Do you trust someone else to properly tighten the drain plug and to properly tighten the oil filter on your 10-15 thousand dollar engine that vibrates like a cheap intimate toy?

I don't
Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 PM

The previous owner of my '98 had the oil changed at WalMart. The windshield sticker said "10w-30" oil had been used, and the filter was a Fram. Needless to say that was the first thing I rectified when I got the truck home with some 15w-40 and a Fleetguard. That truck will never go inside a WalMart service bay again.

Quick Reply: Can I trust Walmart to do just an oil change?