2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Back up camera

I got real tired of worrying about running over stuff when I back up. I am paranoid that someone's pet will ignore the Cummins rumble and be so close I can't see it behind the tailgate so I bought one of these to bring my truck into the 21 century.
https://www.banggood.com/12V-Car-TFT...ytogether-auto
35 bucks and the camera work(ed) great. Wireless connection so I only had to tap the backup light for the camera and find 12v for the mirror/monitor.

Warning for other people! You can't mount the camera above the license plate! when you open the tailgate it will crack the lens
So I had to buy another camera.
https://www.banggood.com/18-IR-LEDS-...ytogether-auto
This one I mounted on the bottom of the bumper to the right of the trailer hitch.
Well worth the $35 it should have been and really the extra $19 for being an idiot wasn't too bad either.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I did something similar to mine, but used a wired camera. I bought mine from Northern Tool: Ironton Automotive Backup Camera — 3 1/2in. Monitor | Back Up Cameras, Sensors Alarms| Northern Tool + Equipment

I put mine on a switch, instead of having it activate with the reverse lights, so it will turn on whenever I want it to. The camera is mounted to the top screws of the license plate, and puts the camera centerline above my hitch. Backing up to a trailer is super easy now
Old 06-12-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is something I've wanted for a long time. Thanks for the links and reviews. I like jrs idea of a switch too.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have found a quirk though. Don't know as it is a problem but.
Since my set up is wireless and the receiver/ rear view mirror comes on whenever it gets a signal from the(any) transmitter on the same channel...
I now know 4 different truck yards that use wireless security cameras and told one neighbor that his back up camera is on all the time and that's why his battery keeps going dead.
I'll be driving down the street and depending on the transmitter strength and how close I am the monitor comes on and I'm looking at whatever the camera is trained on.