2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Anyone ever get rain inside your pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever get rain inside your pickup?

I need some help...im running on 3 hours of sleep over the past 3 days so bear with the grammar mistakes.
Anyways, my pickup has developed a leak when it rains. The front passenger side floor is soaked now every time it rains. It doesn't look like it is coming from the weather stripping on the door anywhere. I can't tell where it's coming from. I just got a new windshield, but it leaked once before I got the windshield so I kinda ruled out that. It's not coolant thank goodness and it doesn't look like it is dripping down anywhere...anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:57 PM

I would not rule out the windshield. Another strong possibility is the firewall. Check all penetrations through the firewall. A slow steady drip through the wall will lead to a soaked carpet in a rainfall.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:16 PM

Check the seals on the cab lights and third brake light. I was getting water in my 2000 Ram for the longest time and couldnt figure out where it was coming from. I took the lights off and put RTV around the seals and havent had water in the truck since then.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:30 PM

seal around the rear window, they will make the pass carpet wet and fool you to think it is coming from the windwshield.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 PM

I don't think it's coming from the rear, the rear carpet stays completely dry. It just gets soaked where you normally put your feet in the front and a little along the side of the seat. I don't have cab lights so it rules that out. I might take a garden hose to it tomorrow and see if I can see anything leaking
Old 06-02-2007, 11:15 PM

I would look around the door speaker. I had the samething happen and looked every where for it. I found that when it rained it would go inside the door and end up on the speaker then on the speaker grill and drip on to the floor. It sure did make a mess even with a light rain. I had to take plastic door panel off and have someone with a hose spray the door. To fix it I tried all new seals but the didn't work I ended up putting silicone around the plastic sheet between the door and the speaker. This did fix it.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by ratat98
I don't think it's coming from the rear, the rear carpet stays completely dry. It just gets soaked where you normally put your feet in the front and a little along the side of the seat. I don't have cab lights so it rules that out. I might take a garden hose to it tomorrow and see if I can see anything leaking
Check the rear window and 3rd brake light anyway. If you remove the carpet you will see thet is a "channel" that runs along the side of the cab and the water will run in the channel till it gets to the front and makes the carpet wet at the front but not the back. It looks like it's coming from the front but it is not. Mine was leaking fron the 3rd brake light.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:51 AM

Do you have clearance lights on roof ? I had a '99 dually that developed a leak on one of the lights.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Check the rear window and 3rd brake light anyway. If you remove the carpet you will see thet is a "channel" that runs along the side of the cab and the water will run in the channel till it gets to the front and makes the carpet wet at the front but not the back. It looks like it's coming from the front but it is not. Mine was leaking fron the 3rd brake light.
Ahh ok that makes sense. I'll just have to check all the seals I suppose. I don't have clearance lights so thats whats making it kind of a hard fix..thanks again!
Old 06-03-2007, 10:52 AM

check this

Hey Rat, this happened to me too on my 96. Look underneath the truck where the condensation drain is for the AC(passenger side firewall). there should be a 1-2in. piece of tubing coming out, if its MIA then thats your problem. This tubing makes the water drain away from the truck. Without it and the water drains right back into the truck. If its gone just us some rubber hose to fix it.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:33 PM

Finding's?

Tell us what you find, Rat....
Old 06-03-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by berok
Tell us what you find, Rat....
Hey I'll let you know tomorrow probably. I haven't gotten a chance to check it yet today. I hope it is just something simple!
Old 06-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by berok
Hey Rat, this happened to me too on my 96. Look underneath the truck where the condensation drain is for the AC(passenger side firewall). there should be a 1-2in. piece of tubing coming out, if its MIA then thats your problem. This tubing makes the water drain away from the truck. Without it and the water drains right back into the truck. If its gone just us some rubber hose to fix it.
Hope this helps.
My 96 did the exact same thing. I got a piece of garden hose heated it in boiling water and forced it over the nipple on the firewall.
I think it's right under the dryer (little aluminum canister).
I too thought it was rain water leaking in because it all started during the rainy season. I guess there was alot more condensation leaking into the floor due to the high humidity. Just like we're having now.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:58 AM

As said take a look at the seal on the rear window. Particularly the top corners. Mine was leaking like crazy there and just flowing into the truck. Took pulling the carpet to put sound dampener down to figure it out. Ran a hose all over the truck and watched for leaks. Sure enough, had a river flowing in no time.

You can check by pulling back on the rubber seal a bit and seeing if the inner seal (lack of better term) is all dry and rotted. I just used some silicon caulk starting from about 6-8" on either side of the corner on around. Worked like a charm.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Findings..

Well, I just got done checking everything out and found a couple things:
The Tube was missing from the condensation drain, so I got some 3/4" tubing to put on there and fix that.
I also took the top brake light lense off and checked it, and it looks like it's been leaking pretty bad judging by the dirt inside it, so I got some silicone for it.
I couldn't see anything wrong with the back window, but I couldn't really get the rubber lining off to see anything so that's my next project.
Thanks for everyone's help! Does anyone else have any more ideas?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever get rain inside your pickup?