2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

alternator failure highway time

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alternator failure highway time

Hi all,

Well, on a 840 mile trip, my alternator decided to pack it in about 400 miles into it and no place to stop!!

A few things learned which might help others in this jam

The fuel shutoff solenoid once pulled takes very little battery to hold it in the run position. When I arrived at home, I was around 8 volts.

You seem to loose your TCC lock up function, the tranny shifted normal on the way home, but I could not lock the TCC when the votage appeard around 11 volts on the meter, Overdrove worked however, both use solenoids
I have a sense light on the TCC circuit and it was being commanded to lock, but never did until...

The Tranny shifts fine even with the low voltage.

My batteries are original from 98, so it seems you can travel a fair distance if you turn off all your non essential power items

Cheers
Old 07-05-2004, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the nice to know info. I often wondered if the truck would be able to "limp" home without power. I also wonder if the battery goes completely dead, could the selenoid be wired in the up or run position.

If you have not purchased a new alternator yet, might want to check out this link:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...5&pagenumber=1

Look at the post by Haulin_in_Dixie, towards the end of his first post, he provides you with info on a cheaper alternative to the Dodge Ram alternator. I know when mine goes, I will do this. I also like the voltage regulator fix for those who have that problem as well. Good luck, Kevin
Old 07-05-2004, 06:33 PM

The Nippondenso 120 amp alternator came optional on alot of dodge/chrysler products. I got one off of a 95ish midsize dodge, cant remember which kind?

The 120amp alternator is alomst identical to the 90amp, so you have to be careful, the 120amp has shorter attach lugs and is heavier.

for 25 bucks cdn I was fixed

I will get another and fix my old alternator, the lower brush wore thru the slip ring on the rotor

Cheers
Old 07-05-2004, 09:03 PM

Jeez! What is it with alternators all of a sudden? Mine crapped out on me on Friday, I made it the 4 hours home, except I forgot and shut it down to get fuel and get some grub. had to get a jump. My TCC worked all right even down to about 8.5 volts, but its tough to tell because the rest of the tranny is shot. I was ready to get out and wire the shut-off solenoid up, but never had to Just have to find a place that has a brush kit
Old 07-05-2004, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In an earlier post I discussed the Dakota alternator that I have on mine, the same except for diffeernt field plugs. My son just purchased a '99 Durango, it has the same field plugs, it would bolt on by changing the pully.