2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Alignment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Alignment Questions

Ok I took the truck in for an alignment today. Dealer (after 1 1/2 hours) comes and tells me that I need some parts on the front end but they can still do the alignment if I want them too.

Here is what they told me intialy...
Track Bar, Steering Stabilizer and Steering box....

Steering box I can adjust....

Track Bar and Steering Stabilizer I have lifetime warranties on...
How to I quantify that my track bar and steering stabilizer's are bad to the parts store where I bought them?

What can go bad on a track bar? the rubber bushing??? The steering stabilizer is just a shock so I can see it going bad.

Still waiting on the final quote from the dealer on items they suggest replacing, but until then how do I prove that those two items are needing replaced to the parts store?

I went in for an alignment because the truck is starting to pull to the right and I'm starting to encounter the death woble when I hit certain bump's in the road (I can re-create the woble because it's very specific places in the road I drive).

Suggestions,

Thanks TONS
Tim
Old 04-05-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Usually you buy a new trac bar and then return the old one for the warranty money. The ends go bad, usually the lower side.

Steering stabilizer will not cure death wobble, but helps damp front end hits.

Steering box can be adjusted to a point, but will then be shot and need R/R.

I'd get a second opinion from a reputable alignment shop to see if everyone has a similar diagnosis.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Usually you buy a new trac bar and then return the old one for the warranty money. The ends go bad, usually the lower side.

Steering stabilizer will not cure death wobble, but helps damp front end hits.

Steering box can be adjusted to a point, but will then be shot and need R/R.

I'd get a second opinion from a reputable alignment shop to see if everyone has a similar diagnosis.
I already talked to AutoParts shop, they said bring the stuff and they would warranty... I had planned on adjusting steering box, have only adjusted it once before....

Would Trac Bar along with alignment issues create a scenario for death wobble? I've only had the death wobble show up in the last six months.

Thanks,
Tim