2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Advice Requested on possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Advice Requested on possible purchase

We have a rebuilt tranny on our truck that is just going out of warranty. Ironically, we had a bit of trouble with it just a couple of weeks ago - shifting trouble which ending up being a dead speed sensor, not covered by the warranty but thankfully only a $35 part.

This truck has cost us so much since getting it and with the tranny trouble these seem to have, my hubby and I are considering selling it and getting a standard tranny model. We do some horse trailer towing and hauling of of loads of hay.

The truck I am currently considering is at a dealer that moves a lot of CTDs. It is a '98 Quad Cab 4X4 LB 5 spd, everything I'm looking for (except leather! I've gotta give somewhere!). He said it is the only truck on the lot that he can't guarantee the mileage on; it was listed at 52K but there's no way.

What am I to worry about on this truck? What are the issues that come up with the standard tranny's? I imagine the LP and IP issues are the same as with any 24V models? The guy said the truck has been checked over, but what am I to do beyond that to be sure?

TIA
Old 07-31-2006, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see that you have rebuilt your tranny. When you had it apart, did you upgrade any of the parts? That may be something to consider before getting rid of the truck that you know what it's been through. Even though the dealer says it is okay, you never know until you get it home.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:52 PM

52K can be a possibility. My 1996 only has 70K on it. I bought it in 2002 with only 26K on it . The previous owner only used it on weekends to take his family out to PA for camping trips a couple of times a month so the mileage didn't rack up quick and his kids outgrew the legroom in the back of the extended cab by then. A quick check of CarFax and/or Dodge's computer system can tell you if the mileage is questionable, an outright lie, or seemingly legit. The dealer should be happy to do that for you but if they are hesitant then you should beware of them. If you PM me the VIN I can get a CarFax for you.

John
Old 07-31-2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by atc250r
52K can be a possibility. My 1996 only has 70K on it. I bought it in 2002 with only 26K on it .
My 2001.5 only has 38k (bought of the showroom floor) so I would say it's possible.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just turned 60K on mine, it just sat until i bought it 2years ago with only 36K on it.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:00 PM

visited the truck today

Okay, so here's the deal on this truck:

1998.5 2500 CTD Quad Cab (4 doors) 12 V, not 24 like I said before

The dealer repainted it. The interior is really immaculate - for its age it has been very well taken care of because the seat fabric and floor carpet were CLEAN! Mine wouldn't come out looking so nice!

The engine compartment had to have been steam cleaned because everything was sparkling in there. It looks like there may have been some undercarriage coating - it looked clean and in good condition but coated with something blackish.

The truck did have a carfax done on it - it was originally a Colorado truck, sold at auction in 2001 with odometer reading of 179K. No reading again until this guy bought it at auction in July with the 52K reading.

Hmmm, how many miles put on it in five years? It ran nice and quiet, no clutch or engine glitches that I could detect.

What are you looking at with a very high mile CTD?

I spoke with the dealer a long time and he had the truck repainted because there were several panels with failing paint and it was about the same to paint the whole thing rather than several panels. Not the best paint job in terms to taping off properly, but it looks nice anyway. He came off pretty genuine though these guys can be experts at passing stuff off...

Just a little unsettled...
Old 07-31-2006, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by betsycam
The truck did have a carfax done on it - it was originally a Colorado truck, sold at auction in 2001 with odometer reading of 179K. No reading again until this guy bought it at auction in July with the 52K reading.
This seems really strange. So does the truck now have 179K (179,000 miles) and according to the CARFAX report it was purchased with 52K (52,000 miles)? If so, nothing seems out of the ordinary. Depending on the condition and use you are looking at 350-400k. I guess my concern would be it was sold at an auction meaning it had to be wrecked or damaged. I would check to make sure the FRAME is straight first of all. Drive it on dirt about 15-20 mhp an stand on the brakes to make sure all wheels lock-up and see if they really did. You can get 250-400k+ miles out of a CTD so alot will depend on the price. I would ask the dealer if you can take it somewhere else to have it checked out and if possible take it to a Cummins. They can at least ease your mind with the engine.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 AM

if its a 12v, then its not a 98.5. 12v 's were only early 98's. the best dodge has probably ever built. 5th gear might fall off.......the kdp might get you. The carrier bearing would show age.....I d look it over very close with non matching miles, I d still buy it though at the right price even at 520k miles.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 AM

That is a very desirable combo, it's what I have What is the asking price? How is the front end, any play or is it nice and tight?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1320
if its a 12v, then its not a 98.5. 12v 's were only early 98's. the best dodge has probably ever built. 5th gear might fall off.......the kdp might get you. The carrier bearing would show age.....I d look it over very close with non matching miles, I d still buy it though at the right price even at 520k miles.
It's a '98: 12V

I'm not sure what you meant by the above: 5th gear might fall off...kdp might get you. It was a corporate lease vehicle. You can view the whole carfax here: http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...KF23D8WJ109844

Because of the 12V, I can't get the thing out of my head. I've been looking at other's like it across the country and the prices are usually higher than $10500. What is bothersome is, what would the price be for such a truck with 300-400K? The dealer says "the Cummins can go forever, high miles not a concern.."

I guess I better switch forums to the 12V!