2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

12 or 24 Valve (My 1st Diesel)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12V or 24V 2nd Gen (My 1st Diesel)

Well I wasn't sure where to put this because I didn't want any bias towards one or the other, I've also search pretty much all day and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

First off, this is my first diesel pickup. I will use the truck as my daily driver that needs to travel between Oklahoma and Texas. I will be pulling my Jeep like once a month too, but the main thing is this will be my daily driver and I need it as reliable as a used truck can be. I don't have a lot of money to be working on it all the time because I go to school full-time.

I know that the VP-44 tends to go out on the 24V which is expensive but is it goiong to go out for sure usually, and how often? What about the 53 block, only on 24 valves? I don't want to buy any truck that has been modded or worked super hard, or anything with 170,000+ miles. And I want a manual tranny. I'm not looking to spend more than $10,000

So which CTD should I be keeping my eyes peeled for, the 12 or 24 valve?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tejas TJ
Well I wasn't sure where to put this because I didn't want any bias towards one or the other, I've also search pretty much all day and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

First off, this is my first diesel pickup. I will use the truck as my daily driver that needs to travel between Oklahoma and Texas. I will be pulling my Jeep like once a month too, but the main thing is this will be my daily driver and I need it as reliable as a used truck can be. I don't have a lot of money to be working on it all the time because I go to school full-time.

I know that the VP-44 tends to go out on the 24V which is expensive but is it goiong to go out for sure usually, and how often? What about the 53 block, only on 24 valves? I don't want to buy any truck that has been modded or worked super hard, or anything with 170,000+ miles. And I want a manual tranny. I'm not looking to spend more than $10,000

So which CTD should I be keeping my eyes peeled for, the 12 or 24 valve?
search all day LOL!! I've been searching for over 5 weeks and haven't found anything yet either. But from my research 12 valve is the way to go.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't be as concerned with 12v or 24v. Just try to find the cleanest, lowest mileage, best maintained and unmodified truck you can--that's what I did and ended up with a 24v, even though 12v was my first preference.

Vp44 and 53 block problems are overrated--you see more complaints on here because this is where people come when the s... hits the fan.
I would not pass over an excellent condition 53 block if the price was right and that was all that was wrong with it.
Vp44s frequently go for over 200k miles. Keep it constantly supplied with fuel and add some lubrication seems to be the key.
12v trucks are seriously not without problems of their own.

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:29 AM

Oh yeah, I looked at somewhere around a dozen 12v and 24v trucks over the course of several months before buying the one I have now. It was owned by an old, retired aircraft mechanic, was bone stock, and had been meticulously maintained.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:32 AM

I agree. 12v or 24v doesn't make a big difference. Both have issues and if you are like everyone else on this board you don't mind tinkering to fix issues. Also, a truck with reasonable mods is not a bad thing. Just buy from a reputible person or shop and you should be fine. If your worried about it failing, just ask for a one year warranty or something like that. $10,000 should put you in the 2000 and below years.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 AM

What common issues do the 12V run in to?
Old 04-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Tejas TJ
What common issues do the 12V run in to?
They run forever?

Seriously, other than KDP ( which strikes even some 2002 24V's ), I cannot think of a single issue with the 12V, other than some very rare issues with early 94-95 P7100 Injector barrels being out of round.

Other things, which are attributable to wiring, etc. are as bad or worse with a 24V ( example, you have a problem with your fuel solenoid system 300 miles from home, get a coat hanger, wire the stupid thing up, and drive home, try that with your VP44! )

Somebody chime in here, I sure can't thing of anything.........
Old 04-17-2009, 05:40 PM

KDP and early p7100 failures is about the only 12v major flaws. 5 speeds have a habit of dropping 5th gear, but in the overall scheme of things, thats pretty minor. 53 block is a very rare occurance that gets magnified online. Both 12v and 24v can crack, have cracked. But I wouldn't give up a nice truck because it has a 53.

I would look for a 12v if you want reliability. Being all mechanical, you can usually afro-engineer your way out of a bind if an accessory fails. 24v, if something electronic fails, you're stuck. Other than having low fuel pressure when I bought my 12v, it has been problem free. Oh, and my thermostat died just recently. Not too bad for an 11 year old truck. My 24v wound up costing me $4k in the first 6 months, not to mention hours of tracking down wiring issues.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:43 PM

put over 270k hard miles on a 53 block never had problems with the motor replaced the lp with a holley blue and it was still running strong when i traded it off
Old 04-17-2009, 11:40 PM

I loaded a 24V today at work and had to yell at the guy face to face to talk to him. I think it was stock, 2wd no guages. Noob question, but are 24V louder stock than 12V.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 96 that I purchased new in 95. It is my first diesel and I just love it. I would like a newer 4 door truck but do not want to give this one up. It has 252500 miles. Still on the original clutch. No issue so far with 5th gear. No real maintenance issues. Just routine preventive maintenance. I do not have gages. Just a stock truck. I drive it easy and never load up the transmission. Always run up the RPM's then change gears. The only issue I have now is a leaking AC system. Just don't want to mess with it now. Clutch replacement is a concern. Not sure how long this one will last. Just a great truck.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:45 AM

I dont think the 24 valves are any louder, just depends on the truck.
12 valve are way more friendly to someone with less exp. with a diesel IMO simple fuel system, dont need much more than a test light and a dvom to diagnose most electrical probs. and there is a bunch of free power to be had out of one. I do like the dash cluster better on the 98 up trucks tho. But the cracking problem with the top of the dash seems to be a issue. have a few friends with the same style as mine and the dashes are all fine. Stock 12 valves seem to run a lil better mpg also. I still get over 20 with mine.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:24 PM

Ive listend to quite a few over the years and the 24V are louder, and have a different purr. some 12 Vs can be quiet at idle, and some seem to kick into a super low idle, anyone ever notice that?
what month did the 24v come out? first one i saw was in a Dully in the end of March '98 id read about them coming but that was the 1st id see. really wanted one bad when i heard one for the 1st time
Old 04-19-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All years are good trucks. Generally trucks gain more power and weight each generation at the expense of slightly less fuel economy for each generation. Each generation has different problems to deal with and has different advantages and shortcomings. All share one particularly reliable engine line that is unmatched in the truck industry. Cummins IS the mosr reliable engine available in a pickup truck.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:00 AM

My Jeep is too nice to trailer, it's not really at that level where it's only a trailered rig ya know. So I'm going to sell my Jeep or trade it and later get a cheaper rig. I've got all summer and next fall semester to find a 2nd Gen. 12V manual trans. 4x4. Want my Jeep...

Quick Reply: 12 or 24 Valve (My 1st Diesel)