24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Won't start after changing fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will waste time and money using the Carter pumps period as they all will fail. Do it right the first time and put on an Air Dog or FASS and not worry about it anymore. Seems expensive now, but it is cheap compared to the multiple Carter and Holley's and whatever else you put on there.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bakdoor
Well, thanks everyone for their advice. As it turns out, I definitely had air in the injector lines. I loosened three of the injector lines, did the starter bump several times until fuel started leaking out of them, and buttoned them back down. It took several cranking cycles, but it finally fired up. I now have a CEL on, but that's probably either due to low battery voltage from so much cranking or low fuel pressure or something. I'm gonna let it charge up, go for a ride and leave it run, and then see if the CEL goes out.

BTW, I really like that 2 pump set-up, johnh. What brand/model# pump did you use, and did you just extend the wiring harness all the way down there from the stock LP's location? I still think my LP is giving less than optimal pressure, and I think your set-up is the easiest to work on than the stock LPs location. Let me know when you get a chance. Thanks.

And again, thanks to everyone who chimed in here. IT'S ALIVE!
the pumps are stock cummins 504 campaign pumps (carter). i bought a pigtail from cummins the same time i installed the pumps over two years ago.
i extended the wires to the length i needed.......... you probably can't get the campaign pumps any more,at least at the price i paid.
the feature about these pumps is if it fails, the VP44 will draw fuel thru it.therefore not killing the engine.... also the pump kit came with a low pressure switch and instructions
Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 PM

johnh: did you wire your Carter pump to run all the time, with switched ignition or with a separate switch, or did you just wire it into the stock LP's wiring, so that it only comes on when the starter engages and then for a few seconds after? Or does the stock LP stay on all the time, too? I don't think it does, but I could be wrong.

TIA
Old 04-01-2009, 11:56 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
johnh: did you wire your Carter pump to run all the time, with switched ignition or with a separate switch, or did you just wire it into the stock LP's wiring, so that it only comes on when the starter engages and then for a few seconds after? Or does the stock LP stay on all the time, too? I don't think it does, but I could be wrong.

TIA
it's wired into the stock wiring so it operates just like it's supposed to.
after the engine starts it runs all the time to supply the VP44 with 14 psi at an idle and 6 psi wot
Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 AM

I got a campain pump from cummins about a yr ago, a friend bought a truck that needed a pump, he tried getting a campain pump and was told by the local cummins dealer that there were none to be found, cummins part guy said they went like hot cakes, you might be lucky in a smaller town to find one, and if you do buy as many as you can, no matter what pump you instal you NEED a gauge or at the least a warning light. I'm going to bet your pump is so weak, its likely not feeding your IP with enough psi to adquately keep the VP happy.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:36 AM

2001 Ram 5.9 diesel

Well, thanks everyone for their advice. As it turns out, I definitely had air in the injector lines. I loosened three of the injector lines, did the starter bump several times until fuel started leaking out of them, and buttoned them back down. It took several cranking cycles, but it finally fired up. I now have a CEL on, but that's probably either due to low battery voltage from so much cranking or low fuel pressure or something. I'm gonna let it charge up, go for a ride and leave it run, and then see if the CEL goes out.

BTW, I really like that 2 pump set-up, johnh. What brand/model# pump did you use, and did you just extend the wiring harness all the way down there from the stock LP's location? I still think my LP is giving less than optimal pressure, and I think your set-up is the easiest to work on than the stock LPs location. Let me know when you get a chance. Thanks.

And again, thanks to everyone who chimed in here. IT'S ALIVE!
hello everyone I'm new here, I got exact the same issue can you tell with more details which injectors did you loose and on what size of the truck are the injectors, thank you in advance.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Get a fuel pressure gauge for the A-pillar and a FASS Titanium to replace the marginal stock lift pump. My truck has never run better since using the FASS. Smooth, slightly quieter and better mileage.

View the videos.

http://www.fass-fuel-systems.com/fass-titanium/
Old 12-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Hello John I have the exact same issue with my truck, 2001 5.9 i change the fuel filter and follow the step that most guys who own the same year and the same engine, after I change the fuel filter, turn the keys 6 time to let fuel go into the housing but I'm very sure I got air into the lines and now I'm having hard time start it, I know I need to disconnect at least 3 injector in order to release the air from the lines, can you tell exactly how you did it? Thank you in advance, by the I'm a new on this forum and also on cummings.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
No such thing as a cummings in your dodge its a cummins. If you reread your post you'll find your grammar is hard to follow and will make getting an accurate responce more difficult.

It makes no difference which one is opened first last or third. It often only takes 2 or 3 of the injection lines to purge the air from the system yet sometimes it helps to take all 6 loose to purge the air out.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:58 PM

Sorry about the grammar but I was using the autocorect system and I didn't pay attention in some words, but I already understood the procedure on the injectors, what I would to know the step by step you took to solve the whole problem.

Thank you again for your quick response.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
If you are sure that you have fuel to the IP, then all you really have to do is loosen about 3 lines just enough for the air to bleed out, once she is running, tighten the lines at the Injector, you need a 19 MM wrench. If I remember correctly, 1,2 and 4 were the easiest to get to on the 24 valve.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I never lost prime when changing the stock fuel filter on my 24 valve. Am I missing something?

I did have an issue with the Fleetguard o-ring being a bit skinny and leaking. The Napa filter included o-ring was a bit fatter and never leaked.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the reply I figure out the problem, it was air on the lines I prime it 3 of them and crank it 3 time and it fire up. Thanks again