24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Who's got a Mechanical Belt Driven Lift Pump System?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Well I happen to have a DTT RASP pump sitting on my bench right now. I was getting most of my parts together to go with it to the new owner who is my brother in law. I actually pulled the rasp out of the box as he won't need it or use it so it will just sit in his garage forever.
The pump is complete both pulleys, extra seal and mount, belt and hobbs switch It is from my 01 so whether it will fit on your 3rd gen I do not know but the mount just replaces some oil pan bolts on the front of the pan/ Whether the upper pulley fits on your harmonic balancer I am also unsure of that. However a quick call to Richard at Glacier diesel should clear it up. I know there are different kits for some of the different years but unsure what is actually different between them but it isn't the pump. So if you can find out differences I might have what you want.
The following users liked this post:
xxwildbillxx (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 05:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^Crazy timing to say the least... I'll definitely try and give Glacier Diesel a shout and see if they'll offer up any info re what it might take to install a DTT RASP Pump (from a 98.5 - 2002 GDP MLP Kit?) onto an 03.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Just installed the GDP Fuel Boss 4 weeks ago. And also got rid of the electrical LP.
Then Changed both stock fuel filter and the Cat fuel filter 0750. She cranked maybe 1 second longer, purred like a kitten. Wish I would have done this years ago. I carry a spare belt as it is really the only thing that can fail. Rich is always there for questions and answers. Like seeing fuel pressure go up with more throttle.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed the Fuel Boss 3years ago along with a new electric pump. I keep the electric pump disconnected and carry a spare belt too. When I first installed the pump pressure was 17psi at idle and 20psi at 2000. Now when I first start the engine pressure will can be between13-15 psi and after 5-10 minutes it will climb to 17 psi. This pressure is measured before the fuel filter with air temp of 50-95°.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:28 PM

Hmm, so far so good... no horror stories yet...
Old 12-15-2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by BarryG
Well I happen to have a DTT RASP pump sitting on my bench right now...

^Just sent you a private message...
Old 12-20-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
wild bill if you did not receive responses to both messages I received from you let me know and will retype I got two one was a pm and one was something else and not sure all went well with replying to them my box shows the response to the pm but not the other one which really had the most pertinent info in it. In any case l me know if al your questions did not get answered
Old 01-07-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my truck with a GDP. Seems like a cool idea. But I'm not sure if have a gauge issue or what but the psi doesn't seem to go up much at WOT, and sometimes the gauges jumps around erratically which I think is a gauge issue.

Today I pushed in the clutch to turn in and the light for the stock lift pump running came on and I was only running 5-7 psi. When I left there as I throttled up the psi started coming up and the light went out. But when I got to 30 mph (I was in town) the psi dropped again and the light come on. I needed to get fuel because the light come on and it was cold enough that I didn't want it to gel, so I ran to the gas station and filled it up and as I was waiting for a **** gasser to move from blocking the diesel pump the engine stumbled a bit and the light was on for the stock lift pump. So I took off from there and it was still acting the same, at higher rpms the light stayed off and I had decent psi, and at idle it was down to 5-7 psi and the light come on. So after another quick stop on the way it straightened out. The light stayed off ad the psi was constantly up over 16 psi, even when I pulled into the driveway at home and let it idle. Weird. I'm wondering if I have a pick up issue?

I usually don't let my tank get that low, but my batteries had died in the bitter cold and I was more worried about that and kept forgetting to get fuel when I did drive it.

The fuel psi gauge has always acted funny and made me wonder about it, but I don't know how to check it, and until recently it never worried me. Here recently the gauge started going all over, way up, way down, acting really weird, but then it straightened back out. Not that any of this has anything to do with having a mechanical pump, just venting I suppose.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by anonymous_1
Not that any of this has anything to do with having a mechanical pump, just venting I suppose.
If you continue to have sporadic electric lift pump issues, you will definitely get a much better response/more help if you post a new thread and/or post your comment on a related electric lift pump thread

Really don't want to steer this thread off topic any more than necessary but if it helps, years ago, I actually plumbed a $50 universal aftermarket backup electric diesel assist pump from AutoZone (as a emergency backup/assist) to my stock LP mounted on the filter housing... definitely comes in handy should the stock LP fail or when the stock LP falls below spec and/or whenever the temps drop below zero causing a borderline fuel filter flow issue (...the extra psi's are nice when it's really cold 'til the filter housing warms up & viscosity thins back out). Another nice thing about having a "cheapo" aftermarket diesel assist pump plumbed into the system, it will get you home/to a mechanic vs being stranded and wasting big bucks on a tow, and also buys some extra time to research aftermarket Lift Pump options without the need to make an expensive, knee jerk decision/purchase you might regret later...
The following users liked this post:
anonymous_1 (01-08-2017)