24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

White smoke on startup on cold days

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White smoke on startup on cold days

We've been having some cold days here in New Orleans (down to the 40s...I know, that's not cold). Anyway, when I crank the truck in the morning, I get a large white cloud that continues for about 30 seconds or so then tapers off. If I put it in gear imediately after I start it (I know this isn't good, this is just part of trying to figure out what is going on...I normally let oil pressure build up, and let it idle for a while) and start to accelerate, the sound is different. It is as if the detination of each cylinder is a lot softer, then all of a sudden it goes to what a propery running Cummins should sound like on a cold morning.

There is another problem that started with the smoke problem. If I just jump in and hit the key (only when it's cold) it will fire, but only hit on a few cylinders then quit. This would continue for 4 - 6 cranks, then it will fire up with the 30 seconds of smoke. If it let the grid heater cycle, it will fire right up with the smoke.

Any ideas what is casuing this? My guess is improper timing.

I have gauges, but they are not hooked up yet. I also checked the codes and nothing shows up. I have checked the fuel pressure a while back and it was good.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Everything you describe is fairly normal for cold starts.
Albeit 40 isn't really cold, try starting at 0 or below, then you'll really see a smoke show.

Timing is all electronic, so a timing problem would show itself on warm starts along with the cold ones.

Wait for the light to go out, then start, this could be as long as 20 seconds if it gets really cold.
Let it idle for a couple minutes before you head out.

phox
Old 01-24-2006, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The white smoke is totally normal for cool or cold starting mornings.

If you want to see a big fog bank just try and start it without waiting for the grid heaters. It will idle poorly but OMG! its smokes white and BIG TIME! I don't suggest this. The only reason I know this I got in a hurry to may times for fire calls at a later night hour and being half asleep...

Normally I wait for the light to go out first start of the day but the rest of the time. I skip it. If you got a jake use it! It will create more EGT temps (450-475*F) than high idle (275-300*F) can! This will warm it up faster and stop the white quicker.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:07 AM

Thanks guys, I feel better. The thing that worried me is that I have had this truck for about 3 years now, and I've never had white moke at all. I usually get a decent puff of black once it's warm and I start it up, but never white. Worried me a little. At least I can be at ease now and brag about it rather than being worrie that I have something wrong with the truck.

The reason I mentioned the timing being off is because my tach bounces about 50 rpms at idle. The engine does not change rpm, but I've read a faulty cam/crank position sensor could casuse this. Figured it might be causing the timing to be off slightly.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-24-2006, 05:17 PM

You ought to see what it is like when it is -20f out with out plugging it in. Mine will cover half a city block 2 stories high in the 5 minutes it takes me to scrape off the windshield and side windows. By then it is hitting on all 6 cylinders and really pouring out coal. It's also as loud as it is smokey at 5:00 am

Like Harry Bellafonte..." I wonder why nobody don't like me...could it be the fact that i'm.......
Old 01-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Banned

If it is really cold, and you don't have it plugged in or in a garage, then cycle grid heater a couple of times, this will help to start it easier, and less white smoke, and less chugging . Leave warm up for a few minutes then put on high idle(if you have it), then drive away slowly, it will warm up faster driving it.