24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Water Seperator

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water Seperator

Sorry, you will have to excuse my ingnorance but, I am a first time owner of the 3500 Dually (01), to make matters worse i'm English and live in the UK. What is and where is the water seperator and how often should I empty it?

I know this may seem simple but the biggest daily diesel the english has is a 3ltr V6.

Many thanks
Kurt
Old 05-11-2004, 02:37 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
The water separator is in the fuel filter. (Left side of the engine, cylindrical object with a line coming from down and behind and one leaving to the inj. pump)
The separator has a sensor that will light the water in fuel (WIF) light if it senses some water. Then you simply move the yellow lever on the fuel filter to the open position and the water (and some diesel) will drain.(if you follow the hose pointing down from the lever and valve assembly you can put some receptacle there )
There's no point in emptying it more often than required.
The WIF light will come on for some seconds before engine start as a bulb check.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 05-11-2004, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problems with being English and living in the UK. Welcome to the site. There is an overabundance of information on this site for sure.
Check you owners maunal, I can't remember if you are to drain it with the engine running or the engine off.
Enjoy your ride.

Do you have an English Chapter of the DTR started over there?
Old 05-11-2004, 07:17 AM

Welcome to the site! I am guessing you don't tour around downtown London in that dually?!

I empty the water / fuel separator at every fueling (read about it here first!) as indicated in my owners manual. I leave the engine running.

Matt
Old 05-11-2004, 10:32 AM

Only prob with emptying it while the engine is running is that you waste more diesel than you would if the truck was shut off. Both methods get any excess water outta the system. With fuel prices these days....
Old 05-11-2004, 08:29 PM

If I can recall correctly, You should do it early morning before even starting your rig. If it's running, all of the water that potentially could be present is being adjetated thus leading to mixing back into the fuel. I try to do mine the day after I fill up (before starting). however, I do not drain the cannister. I'll only let it drain for 3 or so seconds. The water should be towards the bottom cause it's heavier than the fuel.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:30 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I don't drain unless I have a water in fuel light . I was as paranoid about this as some others on this site, but when I caught the drained diesel in a glass bottle and let it settle for days there was no trace of water. Naturally this does depend on the source where you buy the diesel, but over here most vehicles don't even have a water sep. and they don't need one.

AlpineRAM
Old 05-12-2004, 02:52 AM

Thanks to all of you for your advise, it is greatly appreciated. As for an English DTR Chapter, there isnt one yet but hey you never know. I try and cruise as much as possible but with the price of Diesel going through the roof it gets a little tight ($7.50 ish Gallon in the UK)

Thanks again guys.

Kurt