2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Water seperator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water seperator?

Ok so whats the deal with everything involved in getting a water in fuel light (I assume you all probably call it a WIF light)<br><br>Like I have probably made crystal clear, I have never owned or driven a diesel before so any insight as to what the heck all this weird non-gasoline engine stuff is/does would be REALLY helpful =/<br><br><br>QUICK!! Everyone point and laugh at the noobie! <br><br><br>Hehe I deserve it
Old 11-08-2002, 12:45 AM

Re:Water seperator?

Well if you're seeing the light that meens some how you've gotten moisture in the fuel tank. This is usually caused by poor fuel at the fuel station. or letting the truck set for a long time and moisture forms in the tank from condensation.

How to fix it.

That's pretty easy with the engine turned off open the hood and look under the drivers side on the engine block. You should see a grey canister looking thing (fuel filter housing) hanging on the block. If you look at the bottom of the housing you'll see a yellow valve. If you open the valve you can drain the water out of the water seperator. Just drain a little because the water will settle to the bottom. Once you've drained off the water get back in the truck and just bump the starter, don't start the truck but just crank it over real quick. This will run the transfer pump and fill the housing back up with fuel. Once the pump quits running fire up the truck the WIF light should be off.

Shewwwwwwwwwwww that's a lot of typing. [undecided]

In extreme cases you may need to drain the whole fuel tank. And trust me if that puppy is full of 35 gallons of diesel it's not light.

Now I'm gonna sit back and laugh cause the new guy didn't know what the Water in Fuel Light ment. (just messin with ya)

You can also check out the owners manual it will tell you what it is too. 8)

Latter
Darrell
Old 11-08-2002, 12:50 AM

Yea I read that worthless owners book =(

and I though Chevy ones were crappy... oh well, as soon as I get my FSMs (If I can find some good dodge service manuals) I should be fine

No, the light isnt on but I thought I would ask before something crappy happens

Edit: Please feel free to laugh at me =P I can take it lol

not to mention that I probably deserve it
Old 11-08-2002, 12:52 AM

Never does hurt to ask. <br><br>Darrell
Old 11-08-2002, 05:22 AM

Don't feel bad buddy ... I had to ask too ! <br>According to the manual, you should drain a little out of the separator periodically (I have heard someone say do it each time you fill up). I don't know that I would want to do this at the fuel station and make the attendant go ballistic.<br> Personal experience will tell you not to do it in the driveway either ... it does nasty things to the pavement.<br><br>PISTOL
Old 11-08-2002, 08:14 AM

I always use a fuel conditioner at every fillup and have never found any water in 8 years.<br>Michael
Old 11-08-2002, 08:14 AM

Laugh and point fingers at the noobies? You guys must have come in from the &quot;Other Site&quot;.. With the exception of a couple of topics (Hoss, Sheep and Penguins) we don't point and laugh. We've all been where you're at, fact is, some of us haven't moved on yet. Just remember when reading all the great information provided here, there are many differences in the CTD engine and Ram in general. You need to know what model year is being talked about and make sure it applies to your rig. Case in point, Fuel Filter replacement. I have a 2001.5 and it's different from your 1999. Lottsa other little things. Draining the WIF, many opinions of course. I do it about every month or so. More for peace of mind than necessity. Welcome to the site. Tread lightly, there be BOMBERS lurking here, ready to corrupt you. <br><br><br>~Dave<br>