2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

tires & suspension questions/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 08:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
tires & suspension questions/opinions

Well like I explained in a few of my earlier questions I just purchased a well maintained ,1995 CC,2WD ,2500, Laramie SLT. It is not in dire need of new tires but before the snow falls twice a year here I am looking for some tires. The old generals on it are slippery in the rain and are dry rotting from age. I wanted to go with a little more meat and a fuller looking tire so I thought of a 265/70-16. ,that would maintain basically the same height but somewhat wider. Problem is a can’t find them in a load range ‘E’ tire.The truck already has the factory chrome 16” wheels on it and I was also just looking into the purchase of some new take off tires from a 2003. those measure 17” and have nice Michelin load range ‘E’ tires already. I found 265/75/16’s in that load range but I don’t know how much that will goof up the speedo. .(shouldn’t be much!).So I have a few questions here that I am sure I will get some mixed opinions on. <br>1.) do you always recommend the firm ride of load range ‘E’ tires on these trucks because of the front ones supporting so much weight.? ,keep in mind that this truck will only see occasional light duty towing and I have always been able to do what I needed with load range ‘C’ on my older ½ ton truck, but I want to feel more secure about what I’m doing with it and I may buy a 22-26’ long camper within a year or so.. <br>2.) Speaking of FIRM ride, my stiffness is mainly coming from the rear because of a previously added extra leaf. X -owner said it rode way better without it . I want to remove that but maintain extra load capacity so has anyone here tried any of the cheaper fixes like ‘VELVET RIDE shackles or the ‘ACTIVE SUSPENSION’ kits? The price and labor of air ride is out for me . the truck has newer Bilsteins at all corners.<br>3.) Rattlinram gave me a heads up that the newer 17’ rims from a 2500 may have interference problems with both front and rear brakes on my 95. can anyone shed some ‘I learned the hard way’ light on that? <br>TIA&lt; DAVE<br><br>