3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

carli starter suspension/lorenz 5100 suspension???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carli starter suspension/lorenz 5100 suspension???

Hi there, I've kept my truck stock for the past 4 years and I'm finally gonna make some changes, but I've been reading more and more about the "death wobble" and I'm second guessing this move now. I've been wanting to put on BF Goodrich 315/70/R17 A/T tires with either the carli starter or lornez 5100 suspension systems. The main thing I'm concerned about is sinking money into my truck and then getting the death wobble and needing to add more money to try to fix a problem that I never had before. Basically, I would like to know a few questions that I'm sure quite a few of you have experience with either directly or indirectly. First, are BF tires usually inolved with these death wobble issues and if that's the case I'd be more than happy to sink $$$ into different tires... And does anyone know if either of the suspensions I mentioned have contributed to any wobble issues?? Any advice/suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:53 PM

I think you should consider some different tires, 315 BFG's have a terrible reputation when it comes to death wobble, use the search function and do some research. I'd recommend E rated tires, especially with the big sidewalls of a 35" tire.

I couldn't afford either leveling kits you're looking at but I think Carli has a better reputation.
I used spacers and Billsteins all around with no DW issues.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Tirerack's got a good price on Bridgestone's new 315-70-17 E rated Revo 2's. I just developed DW w/Toyo 285's and Lorenz's 2" kit. '08.5 frontend upgrade going in. Lifting these trucks does exacerbate any frontend wear.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:27 PM

I think the BF Goodrich 315/70/R17 A/T tires are the best choice if you are trying to produce the infamous "Death Wobble"!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many Miles on your rig??? what is your rig??????

if you have front end wear and you add bigger tires and lift components,,, as others have stated you may be replacing/upgrading steering stuff,,,,, sooner than you thought and you may be fine,,, Roll the dice!!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 PM

talked to guy at tire shop and he recommended the bridgestone tires as they will last longer and less noise
Old 09-06-2009, 11:15 PM

Cool Carli Suspension

Carli is the best! And its not cheap, if you want cheap go with lorenz!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I think you should consider some different tires, 315 BFG's have a terrible reputation when it comes to death wobble, use the search function and do some research. I'd recommend E rated tires, especially with the big sidewalls of a 35" tire.

I couldn't afford either leveling kits you're looking at but I think Carli has a better reputation.
I used spacers and Billsteins all around with no DW issues.

Thanks for getting back to me. 4 wheel parts was talking to me about using spacers also and putting bilstein 5100's also... That would definately save some $$ but i was wondering if that makes any notable improvement in the ride?? Thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 12:18 PM

In my case the only improvement is from the shocks.

If you can afford it go for the Carli or Thuren suspension, but once you do the front you'll be looking at doing the rear so really a whole system is what you should be looking at and that gets pricey, more than I'm willing to put out (I've got other things besides the truck to spend money on too, like fishing gear).

I can live with the 1 ton ride and just wanted the front end higher to fit the 35's.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
In my case the only improvement is from the shocks.

If you can afford it go for the Carli or Thuren suspension, but once you do the front you'll be looking at doing the rear so really a whole system is what you should be looking at and that gets pricey, more than I'm willing to put out (I've got other things besides the truck to spend money on too, like fishing gear).

I can live with the 1 ton ride and just wanted the front end higher to fit the 35's.
Thanks, gonna give carli a call tuesday...their based outta orange, ca...5 minutes from my place
Old 09-07-2009, 07:57 PM

I have the Carli starter kit and love it. The main cause of the DW is when you lift it takes the axle out of center. Certain tires can also aide in DW. Your best bet is to get a Carli or Thuren trackbar which is about twice as thick as stock, and you adjust it to recenter the axle. Worked great for me. Starter kit w trackbar will set you back around $1375 + 345. I went through polyperformance.com. free shipping. IMO it is the only way to go. I am a research freak and was trying to go around spending the grip but in the end it was the best decision and i am really happy. Call the Carli guys, the best about them is someone always answers and are super informative. Thats the main reason why so many guys have love affairs with them. But they really do have great products and excellent customer service. Here is a pic of mine for reference w/35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T
Name:  DSC_0057.jpg
Views: 3279
Size:  125.9 KB
Old 09-07-2009, 08:28 PM

"The main cause of the DW is when you lift it takes the axle out of center."

That's not true at all, many people (like me) have leveled trucks with the diff slightly off center and have no problem with DW.

Worn parts up front cause DW, especially track bar bushings. A lifted front end especially one with the diff off center magnifies the situation maybe but by itself will not cause DW if everything else is in good shape.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 PM

If you wanted to go a cheaper route on your trackbar you need to check out lazarsmith.com. He offers offset bushings to compensate for your lift and an "ultimate hardware kit" to help eliminate the possibilty of the trackbar movin around. I know some guys that run that setup with great success.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 PM

Mine is leveled with a KORE kit and I am running 315 BFG A/T's and have never had any hint of death wobble. I guess I'm just lucky, maybe the fact that I don't have one balancing weight on the wheels helps. I don't know why everyone is so afraid of BFG's. Before anyone asks, yes I have read all the horrible reviews everyone has written about them, yet mine still run smooth.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 AM

SORRY FISHER GUY i was just trying to give him some of the factors that lead into the DW problem. There are like fifteen different products that CLAIM to fix DW i was just saying what worked for ME! But by all means keep chiming in on every Carli post here without having thier products.

Quick Reply: carli starter suspension/lorenz 5100 suspension???