24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil and other questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 03:26 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Oil seems to be a discussion that easily escalates into a flame war.
I'm using Valvoline premium blue for the engine, and Cummins oil filters (made by Fleetguard) from my local Cummins service center- they are the cheapest over here.
You can find information about your axles and gearing- limited slip etc on the build sticker under the hood or in the glove compartment. The owners manual lists all the fluids etc.
Give your truck a good grease job too.

AlpineRAM
Old 05-01-2004, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really sold on synthetics. I've been using Royal purple for years and haqve noticed nthe differance in performance and gas milage. Now with my new toy (02, CTD, ,AT, quad, 55k) I preparing for a front to rear fluid change to synthetics.

The ? I have is my trans compatible with RTF, or what is a good hi-perf trans fluid? How about PS fluid?

Side bar: Aren't these trucks great STOCK!!
Old 05-02-2004, 09:09 AM

Fleetguard is an excellant lube filter for this engine. I use the LF3894 StrataPore on mine. The issue on the ISB Cummins with lube filters has been that some certain brands have been attributed to engine failures due to the filter media breaking apart and clogging oil passage ways, namely the piston cooling jets. Fleetguard, Mopar, Purolator, AC Delco, and Motorcraft filters are approved for this engine.

As AlpineRAM said, check the data tag either under the hood in the glovebox for your driveline info. The 5 speed will be the NV4500 HD. Other than the expensive OEM Castrol Syntorq LT, I've found a 50/50 mix of Redline's synthetic MTL/MT-90 manual transmission lube works well in this.

I use Valvoline Synpower power steering fluid, which has eliminated the cold weather groaning/howling, choppy steering.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Fleetguard filters. Tf you can't find the info you're looking for on the truck, go to a dealer and ask the parts dept if they can print you a build list for your truck. You'll need the VIN #. They will usally do it for free. It contains a lot of useful info.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:51 AM

Yo have Dana 70 axles I believe with a 4500 trans. If you're turning about 2k rpm @ 70 mph in OD then you have 3.55 gears. Posi...look for the code or you can just jack up a rear tire and see if it spins by hand (brake off, wheels chocked). If you jack both up and spin one:... L/S = both wheels turning forward, Open = one wheel forward, one reverse.

Fleetguard or Cummins filters. Stay away from the dealer unless you like to throw money away, Napa and Baldwin make good filters too if you get in a pinch.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:44 AM

I have used Baldwin Oil, Fuel & Tranny filters since I got the truck. Chevron Del 400 for Oil, Amsoil in the tranny, Royal Purple in the diffs & Royal Purple for Power Steering fluid.

Tony
Old 05-08-2004, 09:06 PM

I have always used AMSOIL with no problems! Oil and filters.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:04 PM

Up here in Idaho you got to take want you can get your hands on. Like it or not! I buy Phillip 66 15W-40 HD (5 Gallon Barrel) for $33 ($1.69 a quart) and use Mopar Filters...

I don't have a Cummins dealer close... So the closest thing I got is Mopar Dealer...

As for the Oil... I've used it for over 14 Years now in every Mopar on the list and the 73 Charger has 339,000 miles on it and going strong.. Not to knock syn oil... But it's hard to buy in bulk and expensive!!!
Old 05-10-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Oil and other questions?

Originally posted by mufasa
What type of oil filter is the most popular for these engines? I usually run Baldwin, but the parts guy at peterbuilt says that Fleetguard is the one of the better filters for Cummins. Any comments?

How do I find out what my rear axle is geared at? Posi/limited slip? How do I find out what front axle/Transmission(5speed)/Differential I have?

I am gathering the necessary oils and such so I can replace all the lubricates and these were questions I have.

Thanks!

Jake
THe Fleetguard (Cummins) and Mopar filters are the same (except price) and are the best for your engine.

The axle ratio is listed on a tag either in the driver's door jamb, on the underside of the hood, or in the glove box. This tag will indecate LSD or not.

Justin
Old 05-10-2004, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fleetguard LF3894 oil filters and Delo 400 15W-40 works for me. Royal Purple 85W-140 synthetic in the rear axle (we tow heavy) works with no additional friction modifier for the limited slip differential in my truck - YMMV!

Rusty
Old 05-10-2004, 01:05 PM

Where do you get or who stocks the Royal Purple and Amsoil oils ???
Old 05-11-2004, 10:59 AM

i know there are alot of independent amsoil dealers at least around here and if you have carquest or autozone they usually have it.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Banned

Rotella T (SHELL) is what Ive always useds,I use K&N oil filter for 1 reason it has a nut on the bottom of it now my strap wrench thing is barried in my tool box,even with frams sandpaper like bottom its still wont come off easily, other brands ive tried were all smooth like with no sandpaper,nut or any thing get all @ advanced auto no fancy royal purple or any thing in a 55 gal drum for me in my gassers i use mobil1 if no one agrees just do your self a favor and buy 1 quart and put a little on your finger notice how clean and lubricatey it is....now bust out your old brand youll soon have mobil1 in all your gassers. a well known fact........When you change your oil its not mainly because its broke down (viscosity) its because its dirty and it doesnt lubricate effient enough so it needs replaceds with clean oil.... and MOBIL1 is the cleanest no doubt if mobil made a type of oil for my cummins I'd for sure use it.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by dieselminded
No doubt if mobil made a type of (synthetic) oil for my cummins I'd for sure use it.
Ummm......they do. It's called Delvac I.

Rusty

Quick Reply: Oil and other questions?