24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Warranty/ MAP problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty/ MAP problems

First off ..this is my first post. Anyway my truck starts losing boost and power intermittantly, then before long it has NO power.Took to dealer figuring maybe sensor bad? But I don't have a check engine light. Tech says MAP harness connector is corroded, need new one, great only 14 dollars! Also says MAP sensor is ok. He says this would be $174 to do since it is not covered by 5yr 100k So I tell svc. advisor fix it.Calls me later,and he says that the map sensor now is bad, and that it is also not covered by warranty! > more money please...I say to him thats a cummins part not D/C part and should be covered,so just put it back together. Now I'm going to be stuck paying for a new harness plug I don't need and still need to buy a MAP sensor from cummins :Going to pick truck up monday, is the MAP sensor covered by 5yr / 100k warranty?

Mike
Old 09-28-2003, 04:34 PM

Re:Warranty/ MAP problems

No one knows if the MAP sensor is covered under warranty. ???

Mike
Old 09-28-2003, 04:42 PM

probably not...
Old 09-28-2003, 07:34 PM
LE

The extended warranty which equates to anything over 36K covers only internally lubricated parts. The MAP sensor is an external sensor and is not covered. Try to find a Cummins shop and buy one from them. I would also verify that the MAP sensor IS the problem. I had a bad adaptor plug for my Comp box, and for some reason it developed resistance in it. The MAP sensor was replaced under warranty, but it was not the problem. If I was paying for it, I would have done things differently. Good luck. LE
Old 10-02-2003, 10:50 PM

Well I picked up truck today stiil NO power. dealer mechanic cut my good connector off harness spliced on a new connector put back together.... not the problem duh! So I said to svc manager why are you charging me for fixing nothing? and I think I should only be liable for checkout charge, he says I don't think so. The dealer manager says same thing > I'M going to dispute this on my visa card. Tonight I went to cummins bought MAP sensor, put on and it runs perfect ;D BUT WHY DIDN'T IT SET A CODE????? And it never set a overboost code when I disconnected E-Z and left boost elbow on at 28psi !
Old 10-02-2003, 11:21 PM

On the 98.5 and the 99 trucks a Boost/Map sensor will not throw a check engine light. :- The later 2000 and up trucks I believe will show the check engine light and register a code. But if the Boost/Map sensor was bad it should have registered a fault code in the ECM.

I've replaced 4 Boost/Map sensors on my 99, I guess that's why they went with the new style connectors on the 2000 and up trucks. :

DB