24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP44 Just finished, my observations

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VP44 Just finished, my observations

Got the new pump from Thourghbred Diesel with an Airdog 100. I used "Diesel Dan's" vidio instructions and watched the installation vidio done by Thourghbred. As stated by Thoughbred you do NOT have to remove the injector lines to 3, 5, and 6. You can simply move them out of the way to get the pump in and out. I used a piece of wire to pull the lines tword the block and slightly up, tied it to a hole in the underside of the hood and good to go. Beats the heck out of removing the 5 and 6 inlector lines.
The gear is a bear to pull, not much room to wrench on the puller, cranked on it untill I thought the puller was going to break. It finally poped off when my back was turned.
I marked the shaft of the new pump on the end to make it better to see where the key was. Not sure how you could tell without marking the shaft because you can't see the key in the shaft?
Massive leak where the return line goes into a T at the back of the block. Had to the drop the stock fuel filter to get to the fitting and tighten it up to stop the leak. Must have moved the line too much when I moved it out of the way from the old pump.
Took a test drive and it runs like new again, faster responce and instant starting.
Only have 81,000 miles on the clock. Next item, install the Airdog, got to get the fuel in the tank lower first, thinking 7/8 of a tank could be a little too heavey.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Nice work. I am dreading the day I need to r/r mine. The mechanic at work is pretty knowledgable so I have help if I need it.

Good tips on the injector lines...
Old 06-12-2011, 02:07 PM

Oops my mistake

Just read the instructions for the Airdog and don't have to remove the tank for the 100.
Do have to reach the quick disconnect on top to pinch the two release tabs though, may need to use one of the grand kids that are small enough to reach it.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:58 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nascar-co
Got the new pump from Thourghbred Diesel with an Airdog 100. I used "Diesel Dan's" vidio instructions and watched the installation vidio done by Thourghbred. As stated by Thoughbred you do NOT have to remove the injector lines to 3, 5, and 6. You can simply move them out of the way to get the pump in and out. I used a piece of wire to pull the lines tword the block and slightly up, tied it to a hole in the underside of the hood and good to go. Beats the heck out of removing the 5 and 6 inlector lines.
The gear is a bear to pull, not much room to wrench on the puller, cranked on it untill I thought the puller was going to break. It finally poped off when my back was turned.
I marked the shaft of the new pump on the end to make it better to see where the key was. Not sure how you could tell without marking the shaft because you can't see the key in the shaft?
Massive leak where the return line goes into a T at the back of the block. Had to the drop the stock fuel filter to get to the fitting and tighten it up to stop the leak. Must have moved the line too much when I moved it out of the way from the old pump.
Took a test drive and it runs like new again, faster responce and instant starting.
Only have 81,000 miles on the clock. Next item, install the Airdog, got to get the fuel in the tank lower first, thinking 7/8 of a tank could be a little too heavey.

Install Pics?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:42 PM

Sorry no pic's for the vp44 install

I'll make pic's for the Airdog. Should be real fun from what I have read about reaching the quick clip on the fuel tank.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 PM

There is nothing "quick" about a quick disconnect...
Old 06-12-2011, 08:26 PM

really its not that bad...

I did my raptor, same method.

Dont break the clip is the biggest pain...

Just make sure you measure the lenght of line and make up all the fittings before removal...then when you get the clips and retainer...it is a push pull assembly.

and make sure you remove the "blue retainer" it wont seat if you dont take it out.

another thing I did, was to leave all of my stock fuel line and fuel pump in place...I caped the ends at the tank and the fuel filter...disconnected the factory relay...

I keep the "blue factory retainer" from the tank in the glove box...like I said I have the ends caped and the factory relay in a plastic bag that I melted around the end (to keep it clean)

If I ever have a problem on the side of the road with my raptor...

30 minutes MAX and I am back running on my factory set up.

just disconect at the tank, put the blue thingy back in...disconnect at the fuel filter and reconnect the factory line..disconet the relay and connect the factory relay....

it was putting out 10psi at idle when I did the change so...if yours is good you might want to keep it hooked up.

food for thought.

NCA
Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Thumbs up Keeping the stock lines

I just might do as you sugest and leave eveything so it can be reconected after the upgrade. My pump now shows 13 - 14 PSI at idle and drops to 9 - 10 at WOT, so that isn't too bad but I have read that is only part of the story and fuel volume is the other part since the pump is cooled by the fuel.
I can say that I never saw low pressure from my gauge but still lost the computer part of the stock VP44. I got the dead peddle and white smoke at times going down hill with the exhaust brake.
I still drove the truck for about 6,000 miles towing the 5er with no issues but poor MPG like 9.8 rather than 12 like normal.
Going to start the Airdog installation tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 AM

on my last truck..1999 I got 147k and then like light switch the VP went out...

On the on ramp to the freeway, no signs or symptoms, no warning. FP was good at around 12 psi idle and 8 or so under throttle.

Computer heat is a big problem, and to many heat cycles are death to the pump...problem is no one knows for sure how many cycles are "to many"

The main reason I left my stock pump (frame mounted) in place is because my good friend is the head mechanic at a very well known diesel shop here in N. Cali. and he has seen more than one Raptor/Air Dog go out. It isnt often or a problem, but it is better to be ready than not.

NCA
Old 06-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Taylor
There is nothing "quick" about a quick disconnect...
X2
Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 PM

For the quick disconnect use a piece of thread or the little tie straps. Put then around the fuel line, push it around the quick disconnect and tighten. It will push both tabs in. Also, I sat in between the frame and drive shaft with my arms above the tank. It's a little tough to get in, but it worked.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Thumbs up I'll give that a try

I'll try the tie wrap and see what happens.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:05 PM

Airdog Installation Update and Pressure Gauge

Got the Airdog installed and had no issues at all. Mounted on the drivers side outside of the frame rail and had plenty of room for the mount. Worst part of the whole thing was the "quick Clip" at the top of the fuel tank. I was able to get to it with the tank in the truck and didn't have to remove anything. It was a pain though.
The last issue was getting the hook-up for the Issopro fuel pressure gauge. The Airdog 100 has a 1/8" outlet port on the top of the housing that is used by Airdog for their low pressure warning light sending unit. The electric plug for their unit is included in the stock wiring loom but in most cases not used so it gets tied up out of the way.
I ordered a fuel line 36" extension from Diesel Manor Part #DM-FPH36 and this came with (2) 1/8" NPT to 1/4" tapered brass fittings. I used one for the connection to the Airdog and had to buy a 1/4" to 1/4" taper fitting from Ace Hardware for $ 3.35. Fastened the hose to the fitting and to the origional hose going to the fuel pressure isolater from before the upgrade and of course the other end to the Airdog outlet port.
Checked for leaks and it works like a champ.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nascar-co
The last issue was getting the hook-up for the Issopro fuel pressure gauge.
Are you running gauge with an isolator or direct? Did you install any kind of shutoff/snubber to keep your gauge working?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 PM

Airdog Installation Update and Pressure Gauge

I am using an isolator.
Works fine. No Issues right now or since installation.
Kind of stange though the gauge reads about 12.5 PSI at idle and 11 at WOT the stock lift pump used to read about 18 and then 9 at WOT. I may look at installing the other spring into the AirDog.
The instructions say it was set at 15 PSI at the factory. Thinking that I am going to send a quick note to check out my readings and see what the factory says.
No shut-off installed for the gauge.