24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Urgent! Looking for the proper Spicer u joints

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urgent! Looking for the proper Spicer u joints

Hello all. I've got a bad rear u joint at the rear end yoke. So I'm going to replace them all. I went to Car Quest and the joints they gave me are Spicer 5-160x greaseable. I'm starting at the front with the transfer case yoke. I'm having a hard time getting the clip to seat in the notch once I get the caps installed. I called a drivetrain warehouse and they said that should be the right one.

I guess what I'm asking is, is the Spicer 5-160x the right u joint for my 2002 extended cab long bed camper special with the Dana 80? Because it seems to be too long to seat the clips. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-30-2015, 02:02 PM

Also, once I have the caps almost seated the u joint is pretty tough to move.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I remember mine being a total pain, seems like I had to make sure all the crap was off the yoke, and then they just barely pounded in.

I used the Spicer 5-801X which is the solid lifetime greased version of the 5-160X that you have, only diff is the grease option.

That being said, I do remember something about Chrysler switching to AAM driveshafts on 3rd gens, and the Ujoints being like 10 thousands shorter than the Dana ones. Could it be you have a late 2nd gen that got an AAM driveshaft?

Supposedly Dana made the joints shorter to accommodate, but that's just info floating around out on the net.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but you do have the right joints........
Old 07-30-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
First off..... I would highly suggest NOT using greaseable u-joints. They're not as strong or as reliable as the non-greaseable ones. I know thats hard for some to swallow but its true. I can explain further if you'd like.....

As for the install, what you're going through is why I always suggest having a driveline shop do it. Its a simple job so they generally dont charge too much more than the cost of the u-joints.....but they do it right. U-joints are easy to install but they're also very easy to screw up when installing.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:43 PM

Thanks guys. I've got them going now, I had to clearance the caps some. Not what I wanted to do but didn't have much other option. As far as the greaseable u joints, that makes sense I could see how they'd be weaker, never thought of it like that. Guess I'll know for next time. Well thanks for the help, but what a bear.

With that being said I am wondering if they mixed up shafts and joints on my truck. I can't remember it's birth date, but I guess it could of happened.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
That being said, I do remember something about Chrysler switching to AAM driveshafts on 3rd gens, and the Ujoints being like 10 thousands shorter than the Dana ones. Could it be you have a late 2nd gen that got an AAM driveshaft?

Supposedly Dana made the joints shorter to accommodate, but that's just info floating around out on the net.
Well now I'm really kicking myself for not getting the non-greasable. Oh well at least this will get me back on the road for now.

I thought I had the build date of my truck somewhere, but I can't find it right now. I am wondering though if it was late enough that they started crossing the shafts. Everything that I've pulled off says Spicer on it. But I can tell you without clearancing those caps some they wouldn't of fit, and they wouldn't of lasted very long as tight as they were. I'm not really pleased with the way I had to fix it to work, but I guess I can fix it later. Like the sign says in my shop, "Never time to do it right, always time to do it twice." Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I have that sign too.

In regards to the driveshafts, I've never heard that DC crossed any AAM parts with Spicer parts. I'd say thats speculative rumor at best.

If you think you didnt get them done right then take them off and try again or see if that shop will look at them for ya. You certainly dont want a pinched cap or a bent yoke ear. And I dont remember if you have a 4wd but just in case you do and you happened to separate the front shaft, always make sure the u-joints are in time. Meaning, the caps must be set aligned with each other.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:29 PM

Yeah it's 4x4. I tried all the u joints a couple times, they were just plain too long to fit. I'm not sure what happened. And I'm not sure what I'd do if I had to do it again. Maybe try one for a newer truck and see if it did fit. Thanks for the help.