24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How much HP/TQ am I making?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much HP/TQ am I making?

I'm slowing setting up my 02 24v 1 ton dually for towing. I'd love further advice, if any available, and an estimate of how much HP/Tq I'm making with the current mods:

Edge Evo Tuner set on Heavy Trailer
AFE Cold air intake
4" Exhaust and Magnaflow Muffler
Fass DDRP
+ 50 HP Bosch RV275 injectors (Just installed today - nice improvement!)
Auto trans has been rebuilt with billet TQ Converter and Kevlar bands.

I've got a 3 piece exhaust manifold waiting to be installed

My goal is to set up for best towing ability on my 11k lb. fifth wheel. It pulls pretty darn good now, but with steep, long grades I have to keep my momentum/speed up or I'm done, having to pull the balance of the hill at 40 mph or so in a lower gear.

No doubt my 3.55:1 gears aren't best in this application, but after careful consideration running with OD off uphill puts me at an effective gear ratio of about 4.56:1 if I remember my calculations right. This gives me a pretty powerful gear train for pullin' hills with OD off, as well as a great highway gear train with OD engaged, especially when empty.

Anyway....back to my original question: What estimate is available for HP/TQ with the mods that I've installed to date, including the exhaust manifold which I'll do soon?

Any other advice to improve towing ability and still keep it reliable?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
The FASS, exhaust and air intake won't add very much if any, the trans will help but still takes a lot of hp to operate,

I'd say you gain 50 with the injectors and about 90 with the Evo as far as hp goes...so with a stock 235 + 50+ 90 you are probably right around 375 hp/800 trq.

A dyno run will give you a true reading.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I agree with SIXSLUG. I would say you are around 375-395 H.P.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:34 PM

Is the HP for each mod additive?

Thanks for the replies...

I thought that I had read somewhere that the HP gains for each individual mod wasn't additive. That you couldn't stack the gain for the tuner on top of the gain for the injectors, for example.

I like the estimates however, but am hoping to understand better what I've gained from the installed mods.

The real test will be pullin' up some long, steep grades to see how it performs, and I'm anxious to do that soon...
Old 07-07-2015, 06:38 PM

Watch your egt's!

You're ahead of them on the exhaust mod and bigger injectors.

The 3 pc ex manifold will help out a stock turbo I have read so maybe some more there.

I agree that you don't get what's listed as far as adding hp because accessories eat up a lot of it as does an auto trans, however, a team of 400 horses hooked up to a 2500 would be a sight!!
Old 07-07-2015, 06:52 PM

Good advice....thanks

I'm always watchin' the EGT's. Even before the recent injector upgrade it's not difficult to get to 1200 degrees on a grade with the trailer.

I've also been told that the three piece manifold might help drop EGT's by 50 degrees or so, and that with the injector swap I might be able to drop the tune to a less aggressive setting which will also help....we'll see.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:44 PM

Keep us posted, I'm going to do rv275's soon.....
Old 07-07-2015, 10:20 PM

Doin' the injectors was a kick in the pants. It was an all day project, but can be done quicker. I was fortunate to have my brother in law help who's an ex heavy equipment/diesel mechanic. (Cats, Detroit, etc.) Knows his stuff and super meticulous. We found a pretty good 3-part tutorial on YouTube that walked us through it well.

We got hung up doin' research on whether or not to re-torque the head bolts while we were in there. Some recommend it, others are against it.

He felt uncomfortable with the idea not knowing the condition of the threads (lubed or dry) added to the uncertainty of disrupting the existing head bolt torque and overall condition. We left it alone.

I figure if I continue on the same path I'll be looking into a turbo mod and possibly an exhaust brake anyway. At that point I'll likely consider doing head studs given the added boost.

First things first though. I need a good opportunity to get it out and tow some hills....
Old 07-08-2015, 02:21 PM

Nice, I am skeptical about a re-torque also, until you hit higher power numbers...

The ARP studs are like a 600 buck hit, so save up!!
Old 07-08-2015, 02:34 PM

Yeah...

I'd like to know what makes that brand so special, and what alternatives are available.

There's only so much "magic" you can put into a set of studs...

Ha! My bad..... After a bit of a search it looks like the ARP studs might be the most competitive at about $425.00 -
best pricing that I could find.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Administrator

I would recommend sticking with the "ARP Headstuds" when you are ready.
DO NOT go with "A-1 Headstuds" as they are NOT up to par with ARP and
there are some sets for our Dodge CTD CR Trucks still "floating around" on
the internet.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
I would recommend sticking with the "ARP Headstuds" when you are ready.
DO NOT go with "A-1 Headstuds" as they are NOT up to par with ARP and
there are some sets for our Dodge CTD CR Trucks still "floating around" on
the internet.

Sounds like good advice....thanks.

Any details on what was wrong with them/problems they caused? I wouldn't chance it with even a hint of doubt expressed, but find myself curious....
Old 07-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ProPerDoper
Sounds like good advice....thanks.

Any details on what was wrong with them/problems they caused? I wouldn't chance it with even a hint of doubt expressed, but find myself curious....
----------
Apparently they were not heat treating the studs properly and they were breaking off in various places sometimes without the owners even knowing
they had broke. I am not sure if they are even in business anymore but
"A-1 Headstuds" can still be found on the internet.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
----------
Apparently they were not heat treating the studs properly and they were breaking off in various places sometimes without the owners even knowing
they had broke. I am not sure if they are even in business anymore but
"A-1 Headstuds" can still be found on the internet.

Yikes! Grateful for the heads-up!
Old 07-30-2015, 04:37 PM

Update:

So I finally found the time to bolt the aftermarket exhaust manifold on. I did a bit of polishing to the internal surfaces with a cone-shaped stone grinding bit. Nothing too extensive, just enough to clean up any rough casting edges.

It took the better part of a day to do the job. I took my time and was pretty meticulous about it all. Removing the turbo completely makes for a whole lot of working space, and well worth the effort IMO.

The end result in terms of performance was much greater than I would have expected. Power delivery seems much smoother now, with a slightly different exhaust note. (I like it)

The really noticeable difference is in the power delivery. So much more power seems available in terms of acceleration (pull) with less throttle than before. When the TQ locks up, it just starts to fly....

I've not towed with it yet but am anxious to do so. I'll try to remember to post my impressions after I do.

Suffice it to say....the combo of injectors and the manifold was a very worthwhile upgrade, and certainly doable by most as a DIY project.

Quick Reply: How much HP/TQ am I making?