24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Updated Info on VP-44

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is valley injection & turbo located?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by dieselhillbilly
link...?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:54 PM

link...? this it?

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_jvjfp1
Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 PM

so from what i've been reading, leaving them run longer is better? such as short stops like the grocery store or gas station, it would be better to keep it running? correct me if i'm wrong, but a heat cycle is a start up? sorry im new to the vp family, and i may be buying one here pretty soon
Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Woodland CA,
Old 01-13-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gandalf1g
Have you ever wondered why VW doesnt suffer from the same problems with their bosch VP pumps. They probably have more heat cycles then the Dodge truck seeing as how they are a passenger car.
Don't know where VW mounts the VP but.....
Have since learned the European BMW's have millions of trouble free miles on VP-44's. They are mounted in 'coffins'...noise reducing boxes BUT not mounted on the block! (this may take us full cycle back to Honn's vibration theory).
-# of heat cycles on non lead solder in electronics?
-fuel pressure overload on Diaphrams?
-vibration from excessive valve lash or block mount?
Almost makes world hunger, ocean levels submerging Florida and Obama big govt. seem like small potatos.

RJ
Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 AM

7 years or so since the VP was last made new and here we are in 2010 Gen 2 land.

Mine crapped out at 52K this year(July, when it was +100), 2 weeks past warranty. Chrysler Customer Service was good, providing a free VP, I pay for installation, $500.
I did everything recommended on this site, gauge, big line kit on rail, 2 stroke.
Use it to pull 14k RV, utility trailer, no short hops other than sight seeing while RVing. None of these seems to matter much.
Hey, JBody, who makes a VP with 3 year warranty? That seems to be the only warranty like that.
Seems like Blue Chip, Midwest I. and maybe Valley Injection may be he VP short list at this point.
Seems like Blue Chip has fewer complaints or failures that I have seen on this site, and I have read almost every VP thread since 2002.
Other summary opinions on the "State of the Union(VP44)" from other Gen 2 diehards? Let's get some opinions from the moderators, they see a lot of VP threds too, as well as their own real life experiences.
My only other major beef on this truck is that I think I am looking at evaporator core #4 on the AC this spring, all covered under warranty so far.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by supr
7 years or so since the VP was last made new and here we are in 2010 Gen 2 land.

Mine crapped out at 52K this year(July, when it was +100), 2 weeks past warranty. Chrysler Customer Service was good, providing a free VP, I pay for installation, $500.
I did everything recommended on this site, gauge, big line kit on rail, 2 stroke.
Use it to pull 14k RV, utility trailer, no short hops other than sight seeing while RVing. None of these seems to matter much.
Hey, JBody, who makes a VP with 3 year warranty? That seems to be the only warranty like that.
Seems like Blue Chip, Midwest I. and maybe Valley Injection may be he VP short list at this point.
Seems like Blue Chip has fewer complaints or failures that I have seen on this site, and I have read almost every VP thread since 2002.
Other summary opinions on the "State of the Union(VP44)" from other Gen 2 diehards? Let's get some opinions from the moderators, they see a lot of VP threds too, as well as their own real life experiences.
My only other major beef on this truck is that I think I am looking at evaporator core #4 on the AC this spring, all covered under warranty so far.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
supr:

Well,... I am an Administrator/Moderator here on DTR and owned a 2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve with the VP-44. I bought the truck brand new with no miles on it. In 94,000 miles Dodge put THREE (3) VP-44's on that truck!!!

Like you, I also did EVERYTHING that was recommended at the time for the "so called long life" of those pumps and have to tell you that IMHO,........NONE OF IT WORKED!! The first VP-44 failed after only 22,000 miles!! The truck left me on the side of the road DEAD twice and after the third pump I KNEW I was getting rid of that 2002!! No offense to anyone here that has had good luck with the VP-44 Dodge CTD Trucks, but I will NEVER own another one. In my opinion there are only two kinds of VP-44's,......"The ones that HAVE failed and the ones that are GOING to fail!" In contrast, I also have a 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve with the tough P-7100 pump and that truck has over 300,000 miles now and I have NEVER had a fuel pump or fuel related issue with that truck,....EVER!

Heck,...my newest Dodge CTD, the 2006, with the CP-3 Fuel Pump now has over 60,000 miles also with no fuel pump or fuel related issues whatsoever.

Again,....no offense to anyone here, just my .02 cents........

--------
John_P
Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 PM

I appreciate your response. You certainly drew the black bean with that truck.
It seems , perhaps better VP's are being rebuilt now. I looked at Valley Injection and they are a sister compant to BD Diesel products, a well repsected Diesel parts supplier. Their pumps were as much or more than Blue Chip, with no marketing to explain why.
I just talked to a service guy who fixed my garage door, broken spring. He has an 07 Dodge 3500 6.7, got bad fuel, no WIF light came on. Seems like it is always something, regardless of the year. His previos truck, still owns, was a dreaded Ford PS 6.OH. Had the motor replaced 6 mo. ago, and it is shot again. Attoreny time. Some people and vehicles seem to have their share or more of bad luck.
I am still upset with Cummins, Chrysler and Bosch over the VP44. I wish we could file a class action suit for all the customers that have had to deal with this. I am guessing 400,000 for Dodge alone over 4 years.
I plan to keep my truck 20 years. I really like it, other than these VP/lift pump problems. I am on Carter #4, it has lasted 15k. Have 2 spares in the truck, one an Airtex.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:27 PM

Yep I went round and round with Daimler Chrysler, which is what it was when my first VP went out. Tried the warranty deal with them, they wouldn't budge. Now with them been in bankruptcy and all, don't know if you'd ever get anything out of them even if there was a law suit filed. Dodge dealer are getting scarce around here anyways.
I
Old 01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I appreciate your response. You certainly drew the black bean with that truck.
It seems , perhaps better VP's are being rebuilt now. I looked at Valley Injection and they are a sister compant to BD Diesel products, a well repsected Diesel parts supplier. Their pumps were as much or more than Blue Chip, with no marketing to explain why.
I just talked to a service guy who fixed my garage door, broken spring. He has an 07 Dodge 3500 6.7, got bad fuel, no WIF light came on. Seems like it is always something, regardless of the year. His previos truck, still owns, was a dreaded Ford PS 6.OH. Had the motor replaced 6 mo. ago, and it is shot again. Attoreny time. Some people and vehicles seem to have their share or more of bad luck.
I am still upset with Cummins, Chrysler and Bosch over the VP44. I wish we could file a class action suit for all the customers that have had to deal with this. I am guessing 400,000 for Dodge alone over 4 years.
I plan to keep my truck 20 years. I really like it, other than these VP/lift pump problems. I am on Carter #4, it has lasted 15k. Have 2 spares in the truck, one an Airtex.
-------------------------------
supr:

You are very welcome on the response! That is what makes this website so great, the "interchanging" of experiences with each other. I know that over the last ten (10) years or so, I have learned alot.

You are right in your assessment that I may very well have gotten the "black bean" with my 2002. But, other than the VP-44's going, I had real good luck with everything else on it supr. And I also know that many Members right here on DTR have alot of miles and hard use on their VP-44's with little or no problems. Believe me,.......... I am happy for those Members.
And your points on the issues with Dodge/Chrysler and the multitude of problems with the VP-44's is very true. I agree with you on the "class action lawsuit" thing too. But,.... I think it would be a "tough road to hoe" if you know what I mean.

On the issue of the newer "rebuilt" VP-44's being better,......well,......I am not sure I agree with that Sir. In my area I still see ALOT of them that fail.
IMHO,.....their inherit design is such that failure is always going to be there
and issues such as water and dirt in diesel fuel just make that failure even more possible. Along the lines of what I said above, VP-44's are almost like little "ticking time bombs!"

I commend you on carrying spare pumps and parts. When I had my 2002 I did the same exact thing!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:54 AM

John P-
I agree with most everything you say. It seems that Blue Chip has an extremely good track record from what i have read, so I believe in 7 years, some things have gotten better, it seems, from what I read. I agree that the VP44 was a flawed design, at least for this application. Seems like it did OK for VW and BMW. I think the extra heat & vibration from the Cummins kill them.
The real culprit is newer emissions laws. The 24V/VP44 was a response to stricter emissions. We saw more power & more problems as a result. Nothing seems to work any better than 12V 5.9, as reliable as the day is long.
The gen 3's and 6.7's seem to have their fuel systems problems, including what seems to be an inadequate WIF/filter system.
It's always something, if it has 24V.
It reminds me of a women's joke I found amusing: "If it has tires or *********, it is going to give you problems".
Like many here, I can maybe live with a new VP every 100k. I certainly like the extra power, torque, and higher tow ratings these 24V give us, which is why I bought this truck.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:25 PM
JIT

8 year old truck is still under warranty? Thats great!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they would just make a P-Pump kit and pump total cost for about $500 over the cost of a vp some one could make a hole lot of coin and solve the problem for us all. Hint hint. I know I won't be messing with another one. I got 300k out of mine when the rebuild dies a P- Pump will be in it places.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:01 PM

I bought the truck in June, 02, and bought the 7 yr 100K warranty. Best Warranty I ever bought, as it covered a radiator, and (3) AC evaporator coils.
My luck was bad on timing on the VP, but I am reasonably pleased with Chryslers help, this after the bankruptcy.

Quick Reply: Updated Info on VP-44