24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transmission Slipping Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Transmission Slipping Replacement

I knew this day would come sooner or later with me doing some bombs to her. I feel like my engine has alot more power ( not being cocky) than whats being put to the ground. I know that when I shift it down into second, and I push the go pedal, I can rev right around 250+ RPMS without going anywhere. When I first start it up after sitting for a while, 85% of the time it slips on me, like its in gear, but its as if its in neutral, until something I guess catches and it takes off again. What is happening? When I bought it, the fella told me it had been rebuilt, which I belive it was nothing more than a stock rebuild. I put some Lucas transmission oil which is supposed to help stop slippage, but it still does it. I know that my truck isnt going to be as fast as a vette or something, but I think something isnt right. What would fix this? I thought maybe the valve body was sticking or something as far as the slipping when it was first started, but who knows! I just need to know what will fix all this? I changed the tranny fluid, filter, and adjusted bands less thant 5k ago...
Old 08-03-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you says it sits for a while, how long on average? if u let it sit for days it could just be your converter draining down a bit and what you are describing is common until it warms up. If it does it all the time you may have a deeper issue w/ true slipping. As for getting your power to the ground, it's easy to do but not cheap unfortunately. I recently did a Goerend Triple-Disc and some valve-body mods and the truck is unbelieveable now, starts making power as soon as u touch the gas and from how it feels, makes a lot more of it. BUT, I started out w/ a trans that shifted fine and didn't slip other than the normal over-powering of the stock TC. If it doesn't slip once it warms up (assuming it's sitting for an extended period), you may be OK, if this isn;t the case, you will need to fix the issue first b/c I would think an upgraded TC/Valve body or whatever you chose would only make the problem worse.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:32 PM

Well, it did it the other night, and only sat for maybe 4 hours? after being ran for 1 hour at 55 mph. I have a buddy that has a Suncoast VB & TC for sale for $1000.00 bucks. It has about 16,000 miles on it? Should I offer less? Do you think a VB & TC would solve my slip and put more power to the ground?
Old 08-03-2005, 03:58 PM

Well I decided to talk with my transmission guy today. I told him about the above and he told me that the dip sticks get a bend in them and they show an inaccurate reading. Which would explain my "slipping" that I have. He said that it sounds to be low on fluid, which would make it get air, and then slip. Because my slip isn't like a slip slip Its like a no-fluid slip. So he suggested putting in a quart of fluid and seeing if that helps the situation. What do you guys think?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It can't hurt..i assumed your fluid was up to snuff..is your dip-stick bent? as for the suncoast deal, that doesn't sound like a bad deal, is it the Triple-Disc converter?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:27 AM

It didnt look bent to me, but like you said, it didnt hurt anything to put more fluid in. Im not sure if its a triple disc or not. Ive got to see how this one goes before I drop a grand on that one...