24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Trans shudder in 3rd locked

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans shudder in 3rd locked

I've been waiting/dreading for this day for about 2 years now. The symptoms were 3rd locked hard on the go peddle slow speed and there was a shudder like thud thud thud easily felt didn't look at the tack until I was off the peddle. This is the tq converter slipping correct. Trans was services bands adjusted about 5000 miles ago by dealer and said everything was a ok inside.

So if I'm correct that this would be the tq converter (opens large can of worms) should I be looking for a good single disk or triple disk converter. What VB? I hear trans go or something like that is popular for the 47re trans.

Current mods are in the sig and future plans aren't going to be a 500hp machine but maybe some injectors and a wiretap type comp. Would a good single hold up with a VB or should I just go for the triple and be done. Also I would like to put in a mystery switch to aid in towing here in the rockies, billet input necessary or no.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:58 PM

I've seen guys running 600 hp using single disc's and having no problems. For 500 hp your gonna want a full billet trans. It will cost more but it will save you headaches in the future. Snapped input and intermediate shafts can do damage to the rest of the trans. Output not so much. A good High pressure valve body is a must too.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 PM

Possible but it should be worse in OD locked. Check your fluid too. If the lockup clutch is slipping it will be burned. I can't remember if you can see it or not but the front of the torque converter will start turning blue as it burns more.

I went to a Suncoast VB and a single disc DTT. Reading the old info on the DTT site, they said single disc is the only way to go but they finally gave in and started making multi-disc also. Seems I remember that single disc was good for around 800 hp if you get a decent one.

If your trans is OK other than that it is not necessary to OH it now - as long as you get it before the TC comes all apart. If the TC is gone - fluid burned etc. you can do the swap --add fluid then with wheels up on stands, remove the return line from the oil cooler at the back of the trans, start the engine with trans in neutral (Suncoast -maybe others -flow fluid in park also) and let fluid flow until it flows clean red into a drain pan. Turn the engine off, hook up the line and start, check and top off the fluid again. That will clean the crap from the oil cooler.

Alternatively you could flush it out with cleaner and fluid manually. I did that on my Jeep as the TC came apart and put steel shavings all through everything. We added an inline filter to the return line on it also in case more shavings came out.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 PM

jasper makes a billet torque converter. an end to trans shutter. they make them for fords as well.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 PM

I will say today is the first I've really felt the shudder, I might have felt something in 4th locked before but never like this, I will say I can sometimes and I mean sometimes rarely see a tack fluctuation RPM vs speed in OD but not normally. I took the kids to swim class tonight and was able to duplicate the shudder in 3rd locked with a full wot from about 35 mph just to see if this was a one time thing, it's not. I'm taking the EZ off until I figure this out. I need the trans to last until tax time so late Feb

Any more input on makes, Goerend, DTT, HTS I think was another? I'm definitely on a budget and don't want to do this again. Also I'm like a child trying to change a tire when it comes to a transmission, an engine I'll rip apart but the trans scares me for some reason. I'm willing to do it but would need a good manual with pictures.

Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:38 PM

I changed my oil - adjusted my bands - upped the line pressure per DTT info and still burned the oil totally to a crisp -brown in a month after it started slipping, but I am always at 11000 to 12000 lbs on winding mountain roads so it will eat a trans up. I also run the Edge EZ.

Gus at Farmboy's Diesel performance http://www.farmboysdiesel.com/
may be able to give you some tips. He clued me in to not overhaul the trans - just catch the TC before it ruins the rest and change the VB for better holding pressure, removed the check ball for better cooling - 30 second pump up at start to fill the TC but need to warm the turbo anyway. Suncoast VB pumps fluid in park too. No more problems after the change - solid shifts and no other trans problems.

You may feel a different type shudder after the TC change - but it is most notable in high gear on a slight grade you can actually feel the engine firing at lower rpms -- a definite solid tug because you don't have the slippage the factory TC had.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:14 AM

Had the same problem with my rig...........
IF your converter breaks down (like mine did), it emitted a lot of debris in the transmission and I had to have the tranny rebuilt too. I went with a Banks at first.....no good. At that time 2005 they were having problems with OD lockout. I repulled the tranny and installed a Suncoast triple disk. NO MORE PROBLEMS. It locks up really well and while pulling a load.....ultra smooth.

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/
Old 12-08-2007, 04:40 PM

So Suncoast triple disk is good, Goerend I'm told is flawless and loved here. DTT for a VB? Did I get that right? Should I mix and match say DTT for VB and other vendor for converter or stay all one vendor.

Again I haven't driven since Friday and will pull the EZ until I can replace the converter and VB. I don't think (knock on wood) it's going to fall apart between now and then, I won't be pulling anything until spring so it just has to move it's own weight until it's fixed.

Other suggestions and or sources for rebuild material to read up on?

TIA