24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny went out. ????'s about rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny went out. ????'s about rebuild

I finally got my fuel system issues ironed out and the tranny quit shifting.
Can't really complain with 165k on the original one.
The local Diesel guru at the tranny shop made some of the same recommendations I've seen on here.
Billet Converter,
Updated valve body to fix the "no fluid pumping in park" issue.
Removing the check valve from the cooler line.

And a few more I had not. Different clutch pack with more plates. Front billet cover.

This guy comes highly recomended by several other dodge owners in the area.
I've got a bone stock 99 truck. Used for daily transportation and occasional towing.

Anything else I need to ask for or about? Any other changes to be made??

Thanks
Brad
Old 11-23-2007, 11:12 AM

while your spending$$$$$$$$$ get you a double deep Mag-Hytec trans pan
Old 11-23-2007, 05:42 PM

A better than stock torque converter. The stock one is junk.

I went DTT single disk.

Add a temp gauge to assist in keeping cool while running. Goes on the output from the TC -- back line of the heat exchanger a few inches below the check ball you remove.

Lock up gives you the most cooling so drive to keep it locked up - overdrive off on slight to moderate grades or where it shifts down to third -- that will give you lockup in 3rd and make it run cooler prolonging trans life..
Old 11-23-2007, 05:56 PM

Might as well throw in a good flexplate too!, A good converter , you could think about a billet input shaft, along with what everybody else has said. You can get thinner backing plates for your forward and direct drums to hold the extra frictions. A good shift kit will upgrade your valve body if you want to save the money!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:46 PM

What Glenn-k said about a temperature guage. Having had one in my 1994 since I got it 7 years ago, I can tell you that it'll hardly move off the bottom peg, even while towing on a hot day. UNTIL to get to where you're going, and you have to manuver that trailer around, especially if it's on ground that's a bit soft. IE: you're not on pavement. That guage will shoot up there almost instantly!

That's why transmission shops love it when it snows. Rock 'er for a few minutes and your tranny could well be cooked.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:00 AM

My truck is heavy so it normally runs near 180, but when the t/c was slipping before it went out it was common to see it pegged. I never thought about it until I put one in as part of my gauge package when I ordered the fuel gauge. I learned a lot about trans heat after I got it.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
billet input shaft isn't a bad idea if you got 700 to spend on it. if it goes the whole tranny likely goes with it but is only problematic in high stress/power situations. haha i put one in just in case... too afraid of having to spend more later.

not sure on the deep pans... my tranny guy knows his stuff but suggested that unless temps are gettin to 270 not to worry about extra capacity for the price they are at least. he also expressed concern about causing fluid foaming when (with a bigger volume of fluid in the bigger pan) fluid sloshes up into the gears and gets aggitated by them.
For me the price doesn't justify them but they would deffinatly improve strength of the overall tranny vs. the little tin thing dodge gave us to hold oil.

Just my thought, he makes sense but not sure if its that big of an issue vs how well they cool and all.
TNutcher
Old 11-28-2007, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh and usually if the company he goes through sells a rebuild kit and an extreme (or other dumb name) rebuild kit, the dumb name one usually has little goodies in it that help out some - billet anchor/stud - better accum piston - better bands with higher ration 2nd gear lever arms (5.1 i think is common) idk what all the stuff does but it is of much better design than stock so might be worth the extra 50-100$ per rebuild kit if you have that option. haha i guess i know just enough about tranny's to be dangerous....
TNutcher