24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

tranny reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny reccomendations

had an issue and changed my trans oil and filter. i used the ATF+4 from advance auto. after i towed a load i have been having slipping issues in high gear.

do you think going to the dodge fluid will cure this?
should i disconnect my radiator cooler and run off the aux. only? was told the rad cooler is restrictive.
would a valve body help that adds line pressure? is there a way i can increase line pressure now?
what else? not a bunch of $$$$ floating around right now, maybe $500

PLEASE HELP thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 PM

hope maybe this'll help ya. when you filled yer tranny, did you check the level in park? It's supposed to be checked in neutral, after running it through all the gears first.If you check it in park it will be low which could cause wierd stuff to happen
Old 09-15-2007, 12:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"had an issue and changed my fluid and filter" ......I'm sure you see what's wrong with that statement.

I wouldn't "by-pass" any of the coolers

What kind of "slippage" are you experiencing? If it's torque converter shudder, which is most likely since you stated "high gear", you need to step up. The cummins is incredibly "de-tuned" for this application. You installed a power adder to the engine....make sure the rest of your truck is "upgraded" as well.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:15 AM

yes the fluid level was checked in neutral.

as far as the slippage, i say high gear because it does it with the OD on and off. it may be the torque converter. i guess i was looking for a recommendation on which part would be the best choice to cure my problem?

by an issue, i had the CV joint break on the front driveshaft and it broke off the tranny line fitting. i was thinking (hoping) i may just have a fluid issue.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for clarifying the "problem". Alot of people who experience tranny "issues" often choose that time to service it. Kind of like changing the oil when you hear the rods knocking.

When the OD is off you will still acheive torque converter lock up. So is your issue a "slipping sudden increase in RPM" or going up a grade, tip into the throttle, and you feel a "shudder". Second issue is most common.

Are you certain you are achieving lock up at all?

May be time to find someone local for some "hands on" diag.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:10 AM

well i have not stayed in the throttle to see if the RPM increases, but if i am steady on the throttle and it shifts the 4th time(which may be just the TC locking up?) it shudders and feels like it is slipping some, i have gotten used to when it is going to do it and back out of the throttle really quick.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:07 PM

The fluid will also burn pretty quickly if the torque converter disk is slipping (shudder on lock up especially in overdrive). I changed just my converter to a DTT single disk and put in a Suncoast valve body per Farmboy Diesel Performance recomendations -- left the rest of the trans alone - stock -- but caught it before the converter totally wasted itself.

A transmission temperature gauge will show heating well over 250 degrees - in fact pegged (if it ends at 250 as mine does) if the TC is slipping.

I have put on about 20000 miles since then and it feels rock solid yet.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:12 PM

Also - Gus - Farmboy - recommended Dexron III/Mercon rather than the slicker stuff for a more positive shift in a heavy truck. Working great also.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 AM

thank for the tips, i will be changing the fluid again soon, maybe i will try dex III

really cannot afford both valve body and TC, willl have to make a decision soon on that.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:49 PM

If the clutch goes in the converter it will decide for you. It would be most important as it will stop your truck. The stock valve body would still work with the new TC.

When my lockup clutch was slipping the new fluid only lasted 1 month then was burned again. I had raised line pressure and adjusted the bands but that worked only a week or so then slipping started again.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:29 PM

i see your sig includes removal of a check valve, what does this do?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:34 AM

According to Suncoast, it is an obstruction to the free flow of oil to the cooler and is unnecessary if you let your truck warm up for thirty seconds or so to fill the torque converter. The turbo needs warm up time anyway. Changing the TC, the valve body, removing the check and putting on the deep pan dropped my trans temp average 100 degrees.

On mild hills you will generate a lot of heat if you don't put the overdrive off. That will give you lockup in 3rd which is when the trans runs coolest.