24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:51 AM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny oil

So I was just messing around more then anything else at the shop I work at (it was a slow day). I brought in my truck and had her up on a lift enjoying getting my hands dirty and playing with tools, I mean hell what better reason to be a mechanic. So I started checking fluid levels. I pulled the fill plug on my transmission and almost got drowned! Transmission fluid came pooring out! I was under the impression when I pulled the plug (and after I read the service manual) that it was supposed to be to the bottom of the fill plug. I have not checked it before now because I have never had a problem with the tranny, and was just messing around more then anything now. Why would the tranny be filled that much? Does it hide a problem that will now surface that I have the correct amount in there?

Oh, one other thing, what color should it have been?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:22 AM

It's normal to get a little coming out when you take the plug out, but not a whole lot. If it's 4WD, sometimes the T/C will seep over to the trans, but it is rare. Most of the time the tranny leaks into the T/C. Color should be similar to motor oil. You should change it if it's never been done, I don't care what Mopar says. Take out the bottom bolt in the PTO cover to drain it, I use Redline MT-90 in mine, works great!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:23 AM
Muted User

Hmmm, may have to do that this next friday. Not like I have a great deal to do at the shop these days but work on my truck...
Old 08-23-2005, 09:08 AM

Actually there has been alot of debate on proper lube for the 5 speed trans.... But I look at it this way... DC put a blue tag on the filler plug for a reason with the part # of the lube to use...

It only cost about $15 bucks a quart and you need 4 quarts to change you fluid. It should be clear as water. If it looks like engine oil then it needs to be changed! Trust me it will be even darker when you drain it out into a milk jug!

Old 08-23-2005, 10:00 AM

Yeah, the reason is so you will buy the oil from them and spend the extra dough. The Mopar oil IS good stuff, but I am a Redline user through and through, and my 4500 sure likes it!! And I will put Redline MTL in my 5600 as soon as I get it bolted in-anybody gonna need a 4500???

Tom
Old 08-23-2005, 10:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Some people are mistaken that more is better, it isn't.
I was on another Dodge diesel message board where someone was telling people to remove their shift lever so they could pour in fuild from the top in order to fill the tranny all the way up.

Sad part was the number of people agreeing with him.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by infidel
I was on another Dodge diesel message board where someone was telling people to remove their shift lever so they could pour in fuild from the top in order to fill the tranny all the way up.

There is a reason why the design the level of fluid. Expansion room, etc...

Maybe it would be a great idea to fill the engine to the top with oil... NOT!!!

some dumb or just plumb dumb...
Old 08-24-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by infidel

Supposedly, that's what DC had to have a bunch of dealers do on the G56 trannys in the newer trucks.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:48 AM

An extra quart in the nv4500 is a good thing........not filling it all the way up though.

Waylan
Old 08-24-2005, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
when hot, gear oil will just about double in volume due too moleculer expansion and airation of the oil.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by mini14
when hot, gear oil will just about double in volume due too moleculer expansion and airation of the oil.
Most trannys, gearboxes and differentials are designed so that the correct fluid level comes half way up the lowest single ball bearing at the input and output shafts. If the lowest ball is totally submerged in oil, which can be just a half inch or less higher level, the oil will overload the entire bearing as it spins. Instead of a light film of lubricant the entire bearing is flooded, this creates more drag which results in more heat, shorter bearing and oil life.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Muted User

Yes but the oil was cool to the touch so it wasnt expanded when it came out.