24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Track Bar bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Track Bar bolt

Replacing my Track Bar Lukes Link 1999 setup to a 3rd gen track bar setup. I removed the driver side frame connection of the track bar but am unable to loosen the passenger side bolt of the track bar on the axle.
I've tried spray lube, broken two sockets using a breaker bar and two electric impact wrenches. I've called 5 mobile mechanics requesting a heavy duty air impact (none are avail till 4 days from now) and am also waiting on a propane torch to heat it up.... any ideas would be greatly appreciated?????? I don't have a second vehicle or way to "just run to the store"
Old 05-06-2019, 10:44 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Is there enough space to get reach the head of the bolt with a drill? If so, start with a small drill, such as a 3/32" or 1/8" drill bit and drill just past the depth of the bolt head. Then open the hole to about the bolt diameter. That should now allow your to easily break the head off and drive the bolt out.
Good luck.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:12 PM

You can’t, the axle side track at bolt won’t come out the backside. It’s boxed in with a flange to the nut side
Just tried 5-10min of propane heat, 18mm 6pt socket and an electric impact and PB blaster spray. Stuck here till I can get it fixed... not sure why it was moved from the help section
appreciate any other ideas....

Last edited by high bid; 05-06-2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 05-07-2019, 03:02 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Impact won't work too good there. (Rubber mount and general flexing)
You can try soaking the bolt, bushing and nut in a mix of acetone and ATF, this will probably eat your track bar bushing, but usually penetrates far enough to get the bolt lose with a long cheater bar.
If not, center punch through a nut that fits on the bolt to be completely centered and drill out the bolt completely- destroying the bushing, the nut and the bolt.
Mine was bad enough that I had to drill out the holes in the axle to get back to a round hole, then I made 2 "hats" on the lathe to keep the bolt in place after mounting the new bushing. The holes were oval after I had removed the track bar.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:48 AM

I removed the steering linkage and you can get straight on the bolt head...problem is that the impact socket keeps coming off (even when pushing the impact w/everything I've got) and now the head is rounded. The only other option "was" to weld another nut on top... but I don't know a welder in the area and all of the "so called mobile mechanics" either aren't "mobile" any longer or don't answer the phone.

Day 3, cut the head off of the bolt then melted the busing to allow for a metal Sawzall blade to fit on the back of the track bar where the melted bushing was and slowly sawing away. Then plan to pull the rest of the bolt out, remove the track bar and then hopefully pull the rest of the bolt and flag nut out. Gruelling task to say the least..... and I just had this bolt out about 4yr ago when I did the Lukes Link mod.

Last edited by high bid; 05-07-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added text
Old 05-08-2019, 06:27 AM

End of day 3, a pack of Sawzall metal blades and began cutting. Cut the head off the bolt (which later I realized did no good), burned out the rubber bushings with the propane torch so I could get the Sawzall blade in between the back of the track bar and the mount and cut the track bar bolt in half. Pryed the track bar out and then beat the flag nut out of it's home. Replaced the factory track bar bolt and nut with a 9/16 x 3" grade 8 bolt and nut and finally mounted it all up. Never have I had such an issue in working on any vehicle like this one.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:48 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Hope you used lots of Never Seize to make the job easier in case there is a next time.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:34 PM

Hahaaa… don't want it to come out that easy.