24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Time for a new clutch, need opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a new clutch, need opinions...

I was going to McDonalds earlier today after a 180 mile trip and put it into gear to go up the hill to get to McD's and the pickup didn't act like it wanted to go anywhere so im thinkin its time for a new clutch..I think this truck has the original one with about 135k miles on it. I'm going to go SBC because from what I've read on here they look like the best, and im thinkin about using their MU 13-1.25 Con O kit. I don't do much towing with the truck, but there is the potential that I might later on. Does this sound like the right plan? What else to I need to get if I go this route? Do i need a new master and slave cylinder or will the stock ones be enough to engage this one?

Thanks in advance!!

Patrick
Old 06-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

Well your right everyone on here talks about SBC but I go with Haisley Machine. www.haisleymachine.com I say there the best Haa!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:48 PM

i'll go ahead & get the double disk ball rolling here, in my opinion unless you're dragging sleds & such do yourself a favor & stay with a single disk, I thought I could really benefit from a DD in my 97' 6 spd., but found out differently the hard way, I just put a South Bend Con O back in the 97 2 days ago & it's much more driver friendly now, I think the DD's are overkill in most cases, unless of course the pulling track &/or drag strip are in your near future, since you're running a 5 spd. I'd seriously consider a LUK pro gold for the $, but I must say Peter & South Bend are a top notch bunch as far as customer service, good luck, Dusty
Old 06-23-2006, 01:02 PM

I thought about going with a LUK pro gold, ive heard good things about it also. I guess i'll just see what fits my wallet better. I have sent an e-mail into Blumenthal Mfg. in Okcity. they are who EVERYONE around here goes to for their heavy duty transmissions and clutches so we will see if they have any thoughts!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:22 PM

I put a South bend 13" FE in my 5spd several months ago. Alittle grabby but holds everything I have stuck to it. Im also in Stillwater, I'll let you take it for test drive.
I purchased mine from City Muffler and Performance www.cmpchips.com
Old 06-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Banned

well if you plan on putting a lot of power under the hood, most single disks are only rated to 450hp, which i'm going for 700hp and so i went with the SBC DD
Old 06-23-2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by jhurst
I put a South bend 13" FE in my 5spd several months ago. Alittle grabby but holds everything I have stuck to it. Im also in Stillwater, I'll let you take it for test drive.
I purchased mine from City Muffler and Performance www.cmpchips.com
Hey hurst, ill PM you with some questions
Old 06-23-2006, 05:11 PM

Good time to get rid of that 3/4" needle pilot bearing that DC uses and put a HD ball bearing in it instead. I used one of the selections at Quad 4X4; no more vibration when depressing the clutch pedal when shifting at higher rpm's.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:35 PM

clutch

well my thoughts is the ones i've experienced. a single disk that was made by the same person that makes the mitchell double disk for EEP worked great and awsome price and the one i have now was bought through woodruff diesel and it's a double has a better floater higher clamp pressure and self adjusting for the price cheaper and the best imo!! contact josh at woodruff diesel and tell him ben told you about bobs single and the double that i have. he is the greatest people to deal with honest and fair!!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 02:00 PM

Well ordered a new clutch...I went ahead and got the LUK Pro Gold. First I went to Autozone, and they didn't have it in stock nor did their suppliers, so they called NAPA and Napa wanted $840 for the same clutch I can get for 330 at Autozone! So the guy kinda looked at me with that face and then he called Oreilly's and they had it for $370 so I went to Oreillys and it should be in on Saturday. What makes Napa so darn expensive??
Old 06-29-2006, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ratat98
Well ordered a new clutch...I went ahead and got the LUK Pro Gold. First I went to Autozone, and they didn't have it in stock nor did their suppliers, so they called NAPA and Napa wanted $840 for the same clutch I can get for 330 at Autozone! So the guy kinda looked at me with that face and then he called Oreilly's and they had it for $370 so I went to Oreillys and it should be in on Saturday. What makes Napa so darn expensive??

The name...

its all ur payin for, If u wanted an even better clutch for 449 dollars, u should have called Dan at valair clutch, he has them on his ebay store (type in dodge ceramic clutch in the seach and ull get it) I drove a truck with 500 or so horses at rears with that clutch, and i couldnt slip it for the life of me... so that tells me somethin..

Rick