24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Thanks Guys! Re:Oil Pressure sening unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks Guys! Re:Oil Pressure sening unit

I just want to thank all you guys that had advice on getting the oil pressure sending unit from Cummins.
My Gauge went out yesterday and I was only 3 blocks from the local Dodge dealership so I pulled in. They said it was probably the ecm needed to be flashed with an upgrade and would get it in the next day.
They called me today and said that it was ready to go, but the problem was the sending unit and they had replaced it already and, OH yeah, that will be $410 please.
So I went right to the DTR sight did a search and found out the info on pricing through Cummins. A phone call to Cummins, with the part # some of you provided got me a quoted retail price of $114 Cdn. + core charge.
So when I went to get my truck they said the part was $295. After a bit of commotion, they came down a bit, saying their cost was $225 for the part, I told them I didn't authorize the work and they had better take it out
-more commotion, discussions behind closed doors, someone else comes out and says their cost is actually $168 and would I be OK with that? So it was close enough and already done, I said OK. Still was $95 for labour but my total bill was Now $289 instead of $410!

I should have checked here right off the bat, but regardless YOU GUYS SAVED ME $120 TODAY- THANK YOU!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 03:28 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When mine went out, I went to Cummins to get another one. They said it was a dealer part and that I had to buy it from Dodge. He had one right there for $23.95. No problem, I called Dodge and they said $187.00. Through the roof I went. Gotta have it so told them to send it on. Then I really went through roof when I got it, it was in a Cummins box with a Cummins part number from a Cummins dealer.
Now I wonder why dealers think people don't trust them?

Old 04-16-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When mine went out, at 2:30am on my way to work, I had it towed to Dodge. They told me it was not covered under the 5/100, and would be $400. I told them where to go, and asked about the price of the part, $195. Again, I told them what they could do with their part. Thanks to the guys here, I got the Cummins part number. I went to the Cummins dealer, bought the part for $115, and installed it in their parking lot. Then I went back to Dodge, and showed them the receipt, and wanted it noted in their 'records' that it was fixed. All I got from them was " You realy shouldn't be using aftermarket parts on your engine, if you want to keep your warranty." I said "Aftermarket parts? This is a Cummins part for a Cummins engine, from a Cummins dealer.. " He said 'It was not purchased from, nor is it aproved byChrysler, making it an aftermarket part.' I said ' I think I held my ankles long enough when I bought the truck. I ain't doin' it again, when I can purchase the parts from YOUR supplier!' Then I left.