24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Technical question for the real guru's

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Technical question for the real guru's

First my truck runs fine, but I have noticed an odd situation. I have had the engine removed or torn down four times in the last few months and it has done the same thing each time.

When first started and for a couple thousand miles after the mileage is way up and then drifts down to a normal of about 1 or 2 mpg lower. The only thing on this engine that was on the last ones is the ECM. Does this thing store information and make longer term adjustments to it's performance?

My mileage is good, best I have had with the work it does, truck runs great so far as power. My driving style is not changing, but the mileage has drifted down probably from about 4000 miles to now with 12,000 on it.

My question is, this has to be the ECM doing it, does anyone know why?
Old 07-02-2004, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there is a thing in the ECM called adaptive memory. In a gasser, it changes injector pulse width, etc. as it "learns" how the driver drives. I would assume that a diesel would work the same, especially the 24V.

Whats the deal with ohauling the motor 4 times in a few months? Who screwed up? Or do you have more time than you know what to do with?

Steve.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:00 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I seen folks post that after pulling the battery cables, to let the ECM/PCM reset, they noticed an increase in performance.
(perhaps this allows the computer to un-learn your driving habits.)
(I think my truck is smarter than I am......)
Old 07-02-2004, 10:29 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DaNuGuy
I know there is a thing in the ECM called adaptive memory. In a gasser, it changes injector pulse width, etc. as it "learns" how the driver drives. I would assume that a diesel would work the same, especially the 24V.

Whats the deal with ohauling the motor 4 times in a few months? Who screwed up? Or do you have more time than you know what to do with?

Steve.

Steve HID has had a great great run of luck and a fun time with the 53 block and cummins reman. He has become quite the professional at installing and removing motors from a dodge.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:36 AM

If you REALLY want to know his situation, then take a look at his previous posts about all the GOOD luck he has had in the past few months!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 02:07 PM

Hey guys, gotta give me credit.... no May motor

12,000 miles, guess its a keeper this time.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:35 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
CREDIT I hope for your sake that is the last we will hear of motors roaching themselves for you
Old 07-03-2004, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Shovelhead
I seen folks post that after pulling the battery cables, to let the ECM/PCM reset, they noticed an increase in performance.
(perhaps this allows the computer to un-learn your driving habits.)
(I think my truck is smarter than I am......)
I know that Chevy do learn from drivers habits... Becuase when you have you Mom that is older and she drives slow and careful. When I got into it I would run the tires off it. Then the next morning Mom yells back at me about how poor it runs and the gas mileage sucks...

From what I found on it that it remember me and always kept the fuel rich sided for a few days there after... Then it would return back to normal.

Funny that truck is long gone down the road... years ago!!!

as for Dodges I'm starting to wonder about it...
Old 07-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Banned

Hey HID, I haven't picked up my truck yet, but my 275 is installed. I hope I don't have those probs you have had. I told the service mgr at CUMMINS to drive it a week before I come get it. He told me the other day he would like to work out a trade. He has a DODGE DIESEL as well, but not with a 275 in it. So far he has not experienced any codes or anything. He said it is quite a bit stronger than the stock motor. Apparently there were no complications installing this engine. He didn't mention any. I am going to get it one day this week, then I can really let y'all know. When I go get it, should I stop up the road & hook my COMP back up, or leave it alone for awhile? I figured if I broke it in TOUGH, it would be TOUGH!
Old 07-05-2004, 10:50 AM

Great, glad you have it running again. I have had no problems with this one at all. This thread is not about a problem, but about an operating characteristic. You will love the motor. See the service manager like the outcome...