24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

It started!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It started!

After almost 5 years I finally got my truck to start after changing the fuel filter. : It usually takes a shot of WD-40 to get it to fire but today it started on it's own. <br><br>It's about time. :-[<br><br>DB
Old 04-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Banned

Re:It started!

You talking bout your CTD?
Old 04-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Chapter President

OMG, I'm almost afraid to change mine again now. I have never had any troubles to date but murphy lives with me so I know my time is nearing :. I just take the old one out, pop the new one in and don't do anything different when I start it..humm guess I've been lucky so far (and I know I'm not cleaning the wif sensor but heck 63k and it still runs)
Old 04-30-2003, 10:29 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've done others and had no trouble, but for some unknown reason mine is quite the SOB. &gt; I usually have to take and give it a shot of WD-40 in the air intake to get it to start. Today the only thing I did different was I cracked the fuel line to the injection pump when I bumped the starter to prime the system. I primed the system 4 times and on the 5th one the truck fired right up. 8) The bad news is I need a new fuel system cause the stocker is dying quickly. I only get 11psi at idle and 10psi crusing down the road, when I stand on it I can drag it to 3psi. <br><br>DB
Old 04-30-2003, 11:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Darrell,<br>Are you saying you never primed it before when changing the fuel filter?<br><br>For any newbies out there, if you have the electric fuel pump you should ALWAYS prime it before attempting to start after replacing the fuel filter. The way I do mine is to remove the post-filter test plug (if you don't have one you can loosen the line going to the injector pump at the fuel filter housing or injector pump) and bumped it until fuel came out of the test port. Yeah, I had some rags under it to catch the fuel. Then I plugged the port back up and fired it up. No problem. It did run rough for a few seconds as it worked the air out of the system. Another thing, loosening the line will cause less fuel to escape and cause less mess, but it may take a little longer to bleed the fuel system.<br><br>Again for Newbies, bumping it causes the fuel pump to start running as turning the key off and back on will not start the fuel pump until it has set with the key off for a few minutes. When you bump just barely hit the starter and wait until the fuel pump cuts off before bumping again.<br><br>Chris
Old 04-30-2003, 11:40 PM

[quote author=Stamey link=board=4;threadid=14220;start=0#133832 date=1051762092]<br>Darrell,<br>Are you saying you never primed it before when changing the fuel filter?<br><br><br>Chris<br>[/quote]<br><br>No, I always primed it but never could get it to fire. I would bump the started a dozen times and it would never start. I could even loosen the bleeders on top of the canister and it would still not start. : <br><br>This time instead of messing with the bleeders on top of the canister I went strait to the line on the injection pump. I cracked it and then bumped the starter once and fuel came gushing out. (had to clean that up : ) I then tightened the line up and bumped the starter 3 more times. One the 5 time I turned it over and it fired right up, I didn't even have to crank on it, just bumped it and it fired. 8)<br><br>It's about time I figured this out, it's only been 4 1/2 years. :-[<br><br>DB