24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

South Bend Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dieseldodge
wow, sounds like replacing my clutch is going to be more involved than i thought it was going to be. sounds like its going to be a trial and error thing. my nv5600 still has the stock clutch but its letting loose in 5x5 @ 15 psi and getting real hard to shift.

Why? Just buy a good clutch and be done with it.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickCJ
Why? Just buy a good clutch and be done with it.
yea, thats what im gonna do but i dont wanna be running into these probs with a SB clutch, which is what i was gonna get.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Expense aside, not using the available and top of the line hard parts in a driveline rebuild is looking for trouble.
Start with replacing the rear main, the Cummins seal is the best bet.
Broach the flywheel and upgrade the Input shaft (pilot bearing). The Stock offering is junk, second would be SBCs' idea and top of the bearing picks would be the offering from Quad 4 X 4 (Dans bearing is a whale compaired to the SBC bearing and it has a bronze bushing too).
The input bearing needs major attention, it supports a great deal of weight and when it goes, transmission problems are not far behind.
If you are out driving your truck jamming gears and trying to keep up with the Mustang next to you, be prepaired to pay the price for your efforts.
Peter with SBC knows his stuff. Tell him how you drive and he will get you what you need.
I use the FE O. This is my second 0, the first lasted 140K pulling a 9K 40' gooseneck. It looked good considering the abuse but the SBC sealed bearing was my problem. It went away and the trans went with it.
My second clutch was a SBC twin disc (my idea and it was not a good idea
Peter warned me and I didn't listen) that broke the input shaft, leaving me stranded in Mass for a week.
I now have all new hard parts @ 264,000 and look forward to the next 250K at which time I'll let you know how it went.
Changing the trans lube is very necessary. I use Royal Purple and change it every 25K along with the diff.
Enjoy the ride.
The following users liked this post:
Arctic Taco (05-22-2022)