24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

servicing a 47re transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
servicing a 47re transmission

I have a couple of questions

the manual states the dry fill is 17qts. the parts place says 4 quarts needed for servicing? is it somewhere in between?

I would like to run the truck in neutral to pump out more of the fluid in the torque converter. is this a good idea or a bad idea?

for what I've found adjusting the bands is a good idea...right? it doesn't seem hard to do.

if these have been answered, i tried to search but didn't find much. got any links

-dkenny
Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am waiting for these answers as well?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:54 AM

well I finished.

adjusting the bands..easy..72in-lb is 6ft-lb.

I started and ran the truck in neutral for a 10 seconds, maybe. any I ended up by using 6qts of new fluid instead of 4. so maybe I could have run it longer.

it would be nice to from someone who actually knows. I was just guessing that is would work.

-dkenny
Old 06-19-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I have done dozens of services by removing the return line and using the transmission to pump the oil into a big bucket, and I just add fluid through the fill tube, a quart at a time, as it is being pumped out. Works great.

Good move adjusting the bands too. It seems that after they get set up once, they don't seem to need a whole lot of adjustment after that. Now, everytime your pan is off, you can just cycle each apply lever by hand, and quickly see if they are out of adjustment by how much freeplay there is.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6 qts is valve body only, IMO....
My Deep Dish May Hy-tec holds 4 additional qts and I service it with 10 qts.
I just do the 10 qts every 20,000 miles. As long as fluid color and smell is OK, I feel replenising 40% of the fluid more often, keeps me well ahead of serious problems. Has worked for over 200,000 miles.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:39 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

OK fellas, you can read my sig. I have a "new to me" 2000 24V and I have no idea what maintenance was done. The truck is in amazing condition and is an-unmolested 1-owner. I want to know what I should do to the transmission. It runs great but know nothing about the 47RE. I have done all fluids but tranny. Help?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

New2Diesel, I would change it..and adjust the bands. you'll want a large pan to catch the transmission fluid. I've never understood why they did put a drain plug in the transmission pad. Someday I look into an aftermarket pan with a plug

-dkenny
Old 06-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by New2Diesel
OK fellas, you can read my sig. I have a "new to me" 2000 24V ......know nothing about the 47RE. I have done all fluids but tranny. Help?
Total Mileage?
1- Check fluid on Dip stick.... color and smell. Good red color and no burnt smell, chances are in good shape.
Remember, fluid level is checked in neutral, while running, after driving it.
2- Drop pan, change filter, check both bands.
3- If good color and smell (in #1), refill (through dip stick tube) and good to go.
Any doubts about fluid condition, or if you don't like what you find in the pan (debris), check back with us.

Note: your 315's are hard on auto tranny. Keep OD locked out when off hwy (say under 50 mph) to keep rpm's up. Try for 1600 rpm's, after shift into OD (4th gear). Your power will be much better and your tranny will thank you.

RJ
Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Thanks all. Does anyone have a photo of the inside of the transmission? I have no idea how to adjust bands or where they are located. Also, does it have 1 filter or 2?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 AM

it has one filter.

the front band is adjusted from the outside. if you look on the driver side just in front of the throttle linkage cable you find a 3/4" nut with T30 stud sticking out. this is the front band

the rear band is inside the tranny. after you remove the filter you'll find a 9/16"(at least that's mine has), with a 1/4" hex stud sticking out. this is just behind the item the filter is connected too. its easy to find.

to remove the filter you'll need a T20 screw driver.

-dkenny

ps I found some photos after I googled.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dkenny
Thanks for the info guys.

New2Diesel, I would change it..and adjust the bands. you'll want a large pan to catch the transmission fluid. I've never understood why they did put a drain plug in the transmission pad. Someday I look into an aftermarket pan with a plug

-dkenny
Dn't waste money on a new pan - just by a universal darin plug and install it next time you drop the tranny pan They cost around $8.00 each is all. I installed one on my tranny pan when I did my fluid/filter change recently.
Almost any auto parts store should have them in stock.

HTH

mariner
Attached Thumbnails servicing a 47re transmission-b-m-drain-plug.jpg  
Old 06-26-2011, 06:09 AM

cool. I wish the autoparts guy had suggested that. maybe next I change the tranny fluid.

thanks

-dkenny
Old 06-29-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by mariner
Dn't waste money on a new pan.......
Depending on where you live, I don't feel the oversized after market pans are a waste of money.
My Mag Hy-Tec holds an extra 4 qts, which allows more cooling for the ATF before it gets sucked back up into the tranny. In our hot summers, it makes a big difference, IMO.
High temperatures are the biggest enemy of ATF.
A bigger reservoir can be a big plus, espically if doing any towing..... and/or if you plan on keeping your truck for a long time.

RJ
Old 06-30-2011, 06:50 AM

I've been thinking about adding an extra tranny cooler. I tow a 4000 ish trailer every day. and it does get hot around here. I think we've had more than 30 days over 90 so far this year. the other reason for a new pan is the rust on the old one. I'm sure some day it start leaking. the oil pan did.

-dkenny
Old 07-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Where is "here" and what kind of temps are you seeing?
4000 lbs is not much for a CTD, even with bigger tires.

I towed 11,000 from Dallas to Houston on 100* day and never saw over 150* on ATF.

RJ

Quick Reply: servicing a 47re transmission