24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

servicing a 47re transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
Where is "here" and what kind of temps are you seeing?
4000 lbs is not much for a CTD, even with bigger tires.

I towed 11,000 from Dallas to Houston on 100* day and never saw over 150* on ATF.

RJ
are you sure about that? i've got a PML pan on mine and I still see temperatures around 195F in the summer months just when driving around town and sitting in traffic a little....150F is really really low....do you have a large pan in yours?
Old 07-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstep3
are you sure about that? i've got a PML pan on mine and I still see temperatures around 195F in the summer months just when driving around town and sitting in traffic a little....150F is really really low....do you have a large pan in yours?
I too see higher temps around town. The 150* I mentioned was cruising in clear air on a four lane hwy from Dallas to Houston!

And Yes, I have a Mag Hy-Tec Double Deep pan. Hold 4 extra quarts, as mentioned above!
I also Have a DTT After market tranny, which does run cooler than factory transmissions. But on the Hwy, locked converter, cruising at 70, I would not expect a big difference.

RJ
Old 07-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
I too see higher temps around town. The 150* I mentioned was cruising in clear air on a four lane hwy from Dallas to Houston!

And Yes, I have a Mag Hy-Tec Double Deep pan. Hold 4 extra quarts, as mentioned above!
I also Have a DTT After market tranny, which does run cooler than factory transmissions. But on the Hwy, locked converter, cruising at 70, I would not expect a big difference.

RJ
wow...that's really good....thinking maybe i should have gone with the mag hy-tec pan now.....i don't tow much and somebody told me that it probably wouldn't be good to use the mag hy-tec dd pan because it would take a really long time for the fluid to warm up to normal operating temperature in the winter months....i've just been surprised lately to see 196F on mine around town in the middle of the summer.....It has been getting up to close to 100F though lately.....
Old 07-02-2011, 01:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where do you fellers have your temp probe plumbed in? It makes a considerable difference in what shows on the gauge depending on where it is.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:25 AM

I don't have a trans temp gauge yet..future plans.

I have removed the heat exchanger. started leaking trans oil then radiator coolant..My truck does have the cooler mounted near the conderser.

I also would like to know the where to mount the temp sensor. to get the highest readings.

thanks

-dkenny
Old 07-05-2011, 12:28 PM

Hottest temp you will get is the hot line out to the cooler right @ the tranny.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:40 PM

right..
but which line is which?
I would have really liked to have a tranny temp this passed weekend.
I know for some that actually live/travel in REAL mountians the little foot hills in NC are nothing..but since where I live is flatter..it would have been interesting to see the tranny temp going up Black Mountian..my max speed towing 6500lbs was 47MPH..at 18psi boost the most it run at the time..coolant temp was the highest I've every seen. not too the red but half way between the 190 and last white line before the read..so maybe 210..no problems..EGT 1000.. the most I saw was in overdrive and that was 1075..

really makes me wish I had the buck to really build the tranny..then sticks..boost fooler..you get the idea..but I need the tranny to live..any fun addons might kill it sooner.

it would make my day to most cars while towing my trailer up Black mountain.
-dkenny
Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok, I guess it's time for tranny service again, the APPS reset did not work, batt grounds are tight and clean and the alt wire is foil/elec taped. It's hunting under low-mid throttle, 1200-1600 rpms (30-50mph). Tranny fluid/filter changed last year w/no other adj. I'm kind of at a loss for what to check next...what else could possibly be causing this....band adj, valve body, ???
Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by high bid
... It's hunting under low-mid throttle, 1200-1600 rpms (30-50mph).
I assume your talking about hunting between 3rd and OD?
With 35" tires and 3.55 gears, I would lock out OD under 50-55 mph to keep rpm's up.
Electronic tranny gets confused at low rpm's.
I keep mine locked out around town and on hwy till I'm steady at 60+ mph.

The 5.9L can run all day at 2000-2500 rpm and love it!
You want your rpm's to be over 1600.... AFTER the shift! That should eliminate the searching.
Added benefits - your truck will have much more power and less smoke.
You won't be lugging the engine and your mileage won't suffer.

RJ
Old 07-20-2011, 07:20 PM

I got rid of mine by adding a ground from near the APPS( ground pin in the harness) to the battery.

-dkenny
Old 07-21-2011, 07:32 AM

Row, the hunting isn't normal as it has not done this. It's constantly shifting up/down around 40mph prior to OD and it doesn't matter if OD is locked. Once I get to 70, no prob or at least I can't notice it. And yes, the rpms are @ 1600 or above for OD lockup.

DK, thanks - I did the apps reset and it was ok for 1 day so I'll go back and double ck the ground there.

Going to change the fluid again sat is there anything else I can check/repair/replace w/the pan dropped? Many thanks!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 AM

Maybe change out speed sensor (transducer) if you never have. But I'm not sure that's your problem. It's an easy change... front passenger side of VB.... but need a set of torx bits.

RJ
Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Ok, thanks Row...plenty of tools to do just about anything. Can one test the sensor?
Ohms range, voltage, etc?
It almost seems as if it's a fluid pressure issue only hunting in low rpms...is there anything to check for that? Thank you for the replies!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by high bid
.... Can one test the sensor?
Ohms range, voltage, etc?
Don't know. Probably but it's over my head and don't remember reading anything on that.
If you have never had to replace the Governor Solenoid or the Transducer, you are way ahead of most.
I'm on my 3rd set of each at 210,000 miles.
It's recommended to do both (kind of a unit) since it's hard to tell which is acting up.
Usually they cause a tranny to stick in gear and not shift unless you back off the throttle..... or else to not downshift into first when you stop. Never got a CEL when mine went out.

RJ
Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 AM

I haven't replaced either @ 210k. I will search for the parts. Thank you!

Quick Reply: servicing a 47re transmission