24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

SCORE: Bone Stock:1 Bombed:8

Old 09-29-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SCORE: Bone Stock:1 Bombed:8

Dead 02 Cummins came in this morning. 55K miles....doa. Dead hole. Edge Comp, injectors, turbo......heavily modded. Ran rough, didn't knock surprisingly, but I disconnected the VP and cranked it over and one hole was obviously out to lunch. Customer said EGTs stayed around 1200, but he failed to notice the engine temp until it was well into the "H" area. OUCH! In my eight years working here, we've now had nine dead CTD's come in the door thus the title score card.

...forgot to add this was while pulling a (approx) 30ft fiver with two slides up a 6% grade.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as I posted recently when towing, my egt's were in the 1250-1300f range(boost 34-35psi) 32-33C heat pulling a very long hill but staying steady. Also noticed engine temps were crawling up to right side of temp safe zone. Either one did not go any higher, and this still with having cleaned out rad last year from puke bottle(probably partially plugged again) . Sometimes it's easy to fixate on watching egt's, and forgetting about other gauges, especially coolant temp.

His rad is probably plugged, causing overheating. Put in a 180 thermostat, flush, fill with diesel antifreeze, check fan clutch, relocate puke bottle, remove rad and use degreaser. Being bombed with LOTS MORE FUEL just amplifies rad only partially cooling extra heat from extra fueling, causing your lopsided statistics.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Banned

definately relocate the puke bottle. the gf's 2500 was heating up during the texas heat and a/c was blowing warm. really bad combo. we assumed the fan clutch wasn't moving enough air. bought the $175 clutch and was about to install when we noticed the radiator clogged. she never washes her motor (scared to, must be a girl thing), but after we washed it out we could definately feel more air moving. everything went back to normal after that. i relocated mine with a pierce of vinyl 1/2" clear plastic tubing from home depot. i used the semi-hard stuff with the white weaves in it. i believe it's oil/fuel resistant but not sure. we spliced the existing with a barb and two clamps and run the hose back along the driver side frame rail into a lucas 1qt. bottle. the hose happens to squeeze in there just right and the bottle happens to fit in a hole (behind the t-case) in the frame rail just right. cheap,fast and easy, (just how i like my women) i would post pics if i had time.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:23 AM

J BODY,

Any dead, bombed 12V's??
Old 09-30-2005, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To tell you the truth Doc.....I don't think so!! so add 12valve (all) ZERO to that score. I've been at my current job eight years so that was about the end of the 12 valve era. I didn't get thrown into the diesel end of things till 99 so most of my skills lie in the VP and CRD stuff. To tell you the truth, I don't even know how to install a P pump on a 12 valve. Every dealer is supposed to have a timing kit, but I think ours was somebodys departing gift a long time ago. I can only think of two 12 valve trucks that I'd finally come to the conclusion the pump was dead and I sent them down the road to a local guy who knows them much better than I do.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:35 PM

If my problems continue Im bringing it down so we can shoot it up and bury it out in the desert.

Who said 12Vs didnt have problems?