Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty Dyno results on a bone stock truck.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Dyno results on a bone stock truck.

This weekend we had a dyno/rained out drag event . A member from our club was there to base line his son's truck. The truck was a 1999 with about 170,000 on the clock with a healthy fuel system and new injector pump.

With the Smarty #9 the truck dynoed 201/481

No Smarty, stock the truck dynoed 193/381

So the truck gained 8 hp and 100 ftlbs of torque.

This was done at Wayne's Dynojet in Jacksonville, NC
Old 04-23-2006, 08:39 PM

How can that be?????

My truck moves on sw9?

Bob
Old 04-23-2006, 08:47 PM

So the truck gained 8 hp and 100 ftlbs of torque.
Hmmmm? That's all?
Old 04-23-2006, 08:53 PM

Torque is moving it.

My truck has injectors that are 65-70 hp over what I used to have and twin turbo's that I didn't have before and a Smarty. Dyno #'s went up a little over 60 hp and tq stayed about the same from my last dyno. What I can tell you that doesn't show up on the dyno is it makes a BIG difference in acceleration and towing. It is a great product, just not necessarily a great tool for a big dyno #. It makes its best dividends in the 1/4 mile in my opinion. I'm not saying I have a fast truck, I don't. But it is WAY, WAY, quicker than it was without it.

Don't fret on the dyno #'s, it is about the street performance.

I do have to say I was surprised that my torque # stayed about the same. I thought the Smarty would make that jump.....ah who cares, I can feel what it does for my truck.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:54 PM

hmmmm.... numbers sound really fishy.... my truck feels stronger with the Smarty than it ever did with the EZ. I'll be on a dyno this next weekend so we shall see.... we're gonna run my truck and then we're going to experiment with the 550+hp 24V sled truck...
Old 04-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Chapter President

What's fishy??? I hope I'm not misreading your post. There's no BS going on with these numbers. The owner of the truck is in Marine boot camp, his dad was getting a base number on his truck. I asked him as a favor to let me download the Smarty for a dyno run.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:24 PM

I think the reason you guys are feeling a larger seat-of-pants vs. dyno # is that the smarty is broadening the powerband. Sure the max was only 8 more horsepower, but how often is your engine at peak RPM? If you're spending 800 RPM in the upper 80% of your HP curve, you'll feel a lot faster than spending 400 RPM there.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:26 PM

Well, hopefully he's not accusing you of making something up Mike. I think he is saying something isn't exactly right because of the the results he's seen. BTW, Graphite, Mike isn't trying to pull anything, he owns a Smarty, and is proponent. He loaded it in my truck and got me hooked.......Yikes, that was easy. Anyway, Graphite could actually be on to something. I know that the owners Dad who dyno'd it said there was some tranny work in the trucks future, so I think it very well could be losing power in the drive train. I know I loaded my Smarty in another guys truck to try and he said he liked his EZ better. Well, I rode with him and I can tell you that his PRNDL was slipping badly. I don't think we felt anything close to what the truck would do if he had a healthy auto. I think that was what this truck experienced on the dyno to some degree........well, hmmmm, after it locks up though......it's not going to slip in high gear is it.........hmmmm, I don't understand the auto's too well. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Of course, it doens't answer why I only got 60 hp gain and slight Tq loss with the addition of twins, smarty, bigger inj, and a TST?.... Ah heck, who can be upset though, I hit the 450 hp barrier I was aiming for...just thought I might do a little more.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm getting tired. Better get in the rack.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mike D
What's fishy??? I hope I'm not misreading your post. There's no BS going on with these numbers. The owner of the truck is in Marine boot camp, his dad was getting a base number on his truck. I asked him as a favor to let me download the Smarty for a dyno run.
Mike, completely misreading my post. I'm not discrediting your numbers, it just seems as though you should've seen better results with the mod than 8 hp... from my experience and nearly every post I've read about the Smarty, it seems as though 8 hp is a really low gain. SOP dyno tells me it's at least comparable with the EZ I was running and I made 260hp on a dead injection pump with the EZ alone. Maybe the dyno charts tell the whole story.. makes peak horsepower early in the RPM's and holds that level....
Old 04-23-2006, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
I know that the owners Dad who dyno'd it said there was some tranny work in the trucks future, so I think it very well could be losing power in the drive train.
BINGO!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Chapter President

Let me start of by saying sorry for the confussion, you know how the internet can cross wires in a conversation.

The trans has nothing to do with the dyno numbers. I don't expect TigerRag to know this as he has a six speed. I don't care if you have a DTT or Goerend or Suncoast, once the truck is in lockup it doesn't matter, the converter is locked. If you dyno a stock truck, you have to start the dyno run at about 70 mph so it won't kick out of lock up, this was done.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mike D
Let me start of by saying sorry for the confussion, you know how the internet can cross wires in a conversation.

The trans has nothing to do with the dyno numbers. I don't expect TigerRag to know this as he has a six speed. I don't care if you have a DTT or Goerend or Suncoast, once the truck is in lockup it doesn't matter, the converter is locked. If you dyno a stock truck, you have to start the dyno run at about 70 mph so it won't kick out of lock up, this was done.
As I understand it (not a tranny guru here) lockup is also clutches. IF they start slipping that will skew the dyno #'s. Just thinking out loud.....
Old 04-23-2006, 10:12 PM

So the question is: will a stock torque converter clutch hold 500 torque? I guess it could have been slipping, and that is why the HP number was low.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Chapter President

Guys, The Smarty was never touted as a HP/TQ programer. From my understanding the stock ECM has "ramps/steps" programed into the fueling curve. You have to have x amount of pedal input/apply to get x amount of fueling. What the Smarty does is modify these ramps/steps so the fuel comes in at an earlier time, thus giving you better responce down low. I think this is also why some of us experience problems when getting out of the fuel on #9, surge in power.

Marco will correct me if I wrong.

I think everyone is fixated on the hp number. The truck gained 100 FTlbs of torque. Usually hp is about half of the torque reading, so I don't know why it only gained 8 hp????
Old 04-23-2006, 10:17 PM

What was your boost and pyro numbers? stock vs smarty on 9. I would bet your boost was low and your pyro temps were high. No boost fooler/ fitting.

Quick Reply: Smarty Dyno results on a bone stock truck.