Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Bone-stock towing 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bone-stock towing 5th wheel

Greetings all,
I have been browsing the forums and haven't really come across something that addresses my upcoming situation.
I have a bone-stock 2001 quad cab 4X4 Long wheel base, and have just purchased a 2000 32' Cedar Creek 5th wheel (unloaded vehicle weight is 7619lbs, cargo capacity is 4321lbs, = 11,940 GVWR).

I have seen some good suggestions posted on other posts, like an exhaust brake, a K&N air filter, etc.

Is there something that I really need to tow this trailer, or is stock enough??

Thanks for any replies...
Old 04-11-2004, 05:05 PM

Well, there aren't that many mountains in NJ, and if you don't plan on towing through any large mountain ranges, pure stock will be enough for you. You can also plan on your trailer weight being about 1000 lbs more than the empty trailer weight. But either way, you should be fine.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:27 PM

I agree,you will have no problems at all, Condgradulations on the RV, Goodluck and have fun,,,,,Rick
Old 04-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
You did not indicate whether you are stick or auto. If you are auto, I would have tranny temp gauge. I would also want a pyro. You will hit some hills somewhere, someday and you want to know what your EGT's are. It also lets you know when it is safe to shut down after rolling off the interstate.

EBrake? Well, if you get into the mountains, I sure would want one.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:11 AM

An Edge EZ box will really wake up that '01 for towing. Not really necessary, but once you've run one, you'll never go back to stock!
Old 04-12-2004, 11:27 AM

You'll be just fine, running stock. I'm a little power happy myself, but I do remember pulling a 32' with a stock 01 and it did just fine. It may not always pull in OD like I do with mine, but on a nice flat road it will pull just fine. Most mountain roads you run a little slower any way so thats not a big deal if you ever get into them. Gauges are always a good idea, but if you stay running stock you should be OK.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think a e-brake is definately in order, and while down there a pyro also. I haven't had much exposure to the Edge EZ box, not quite sure what it is (do you know a ballpark price on that also?). I have an auto trans, so I will probably get the tranny gauge also. Do you guys know of a good place to get some of this stuff?? I did a search for e-brakes, and the one that I looked at was $1k. I guess that is normal, huh?
I am from Idaho, and will be moving back to the west next summer, so mountains are definately in our future!!
Thanks for the input guys! I have been towing a 24ft Fireball TT for a couple of years, and have finally graduated!!
Old 04-12-2004, 06:08 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In your case not probably get tranny gauge, its a must get tranny gauge those tannys get warm stock and can shell thier guts out pulling so its good to know whats going on on the exhaust end and the tranny end.

Great trucka dn trailer combo though
Old 04-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Banned

An exhaust brake on a stock automatic transmission is not a good idea. Dodge dealerships will sell you an exhaust brake but DC highly recommends you do not install one. Too much heat build up and not enough fluid flow in a stock automatic to handle reverse Hp as in a exhaust brake. Also the stall speed of a stock automatic is too high.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:37 PM

If someone has not already mentioned it...along with the trans gauge dont forget the fuel pressure gauge. This is something that you also need to watch..

Rick
Old 04-13-2004, 03:06 PM

I haven't had much exposure to the Edge EZ box, not quite sure what it is (do you know a ballpark price on that also?). [snip]
Do you guys know of a good place to get some of this stuff??
Check out the classifieds on this site...

Lots of guys are selling off their EZ boxes to upgrade to a Comp box. The EZ is one of the mildests of fueling boxes- just do a search here for more info about them.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:07 PM

What mods to the stock tranny can be done to accomodate the ebrake? I know that you can install a locker for the converter to keep it from stalling -
Old 04-14-2004, 07:38 AM
Banned

It all depends on how many miles are on your stock transmission. Under 75,000 miles all you really need is a valve body and torque converter. Over 100,000 miles it is usually a good idea to freshen up the whole transmission. Miles in between 75,000 and 100,000 is anybodies call, do what you feel is best for you.

If the exhaust brake you get does not have a lockup controler you will need one of them also. Any of the lockup controller will work fine but I would use the one that I got the transmission upgrades from.

a couple of links to get you started.

www.gbtransmissions.com
www.suncoastconverters.com
www.atsdieselperformance.com

No preference in who's transmission parts you use, I'am not going down that road.

You can install a three dollar toggle switch to get your stock transmission to lockup in OD or 3rd but I feel most people will not use it properly and ruin their transmissions so I will not describe how to do it. If some else wants to they can.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might consider some better rated tires for the rear. The "E"
rated tire is good, but for towing a fifth wheel, I would recommend you consider some "G" rated tires. Has more load capacity and little more margin for safety. It does not happen to often, but if you were have a flat while towing, you could be in trouble fast. Problem is they would most likely be Goodyears and I hate Goodyears.

Don't know what your pin weight is. I would guess 1700lbs maybe more.

If you get in towing gear and head this way, sent a movrep.

See ya on the Big Road.

Dave Hawthorne, CWO4 (Bosn) USCG, Retired.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:57 PM

As far as power goes you should be in good shape stock. We just got back from vacation and traveled thru the mountains in West Virginia on I-77. On one long upgrade we managed to pass a duramax with a 5th wheel, a diesel pusher with a toad, suv with a small travel trailer, and our friends in there new 5.4 ford gasser. Didn't just pass, put em out of sight in a hurry. We were fully loaded golf cart, firewood, water, and even the kitchen sink. I would want the largest and maybe 2 tranny coolers. You didn't mention the 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton series. Everything works better/lasts longer if you stay under weight ratings.
Camping season is here so get that rig ready to roll. Happy trails and enjoy, dave.

Quick Reply: Bone-stock towing 5th wheel