24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Radiator Changeout:

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator Changeout:

Hi, new diesel owner here. Just picked up a 99 24V with 215k on the ticker. Have owned plenty of rams in the past, but new to diesel.

Anywho,

Radiator end cap has a nice 2" crack in it. Found out this is somewhat of a common occurence. Ordered one from radiator.com for $210, and it's coming in tomorrow (Fri).

While I had her at the dealer getting all the trans backflushed and the oil/rear end/fuel filter changed, I had the coolant system pressure tested and it failed. So did the cap. We spoke of a radiator, and the mechs were saying it was a very complicated removal, had to dismount A/C, trans coolers, etc etc and pull it out between the bumper and the core support.

Now, I've done 2 radiators before, in an 81 Wagoneer, and a 93 Ciera. Never have I had to do that. Judging from the looks of this one, (and Haynes) it seems to be a simple reservoir/shroud/hose removal, unbolt and lift like every other one I've done.

Someone please clue me in if I'm mistaken, but surely the gut telling me the dealer wanted my $$ feeling was in check.

Thanks

edit: guess the filter doesn't like some of the words I supplanted for Dealer...
Old 12-13-2007, 09:48 PM

Its easy. Remove the 2 clips on top that hold the shroud to the rad and 2 bolts down each side then it will slide over the fan and you can hang it there over the fan. there is 1 bolt on each side of the rad near the top, remove them and the 4 nuts that hold the + cable to the 2nd batt and then the rad will lift straight up and out. install is just the other way around. I have done it a few times and can be removed in less then 10min maby 30min 1st time.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:27 PM

That's exactly what it looked like to me. Thanks
Old 12-18-2007, 05:36 PM

Well.

Where do I start.

First, it took 4 days for an overnight radiator to get here.

So it got here monday, I went out monday night and hooked up with a case of coolant.

Go to do the teardown and install today.

2 hrs to get the washer reservoir off... bleh. I was about to cut it out.

Everything else came out as planned.

Try to install the radiator. No dice. Right bumper in, left nogo. Left in, right nogo. Hmmm. Pull the rad out - it's arched!! (Vantec... something brand)

On the phone to radiator.com. 1 hr later, their delivery driver arrives @ my driveway with a new one. (Different Brand.. started with an R or a P.)

Great, looks straight, it's a little racked. Pass side upper corner forward, lower corner backward. Bolt will take care of that.

Installed that, driver stayed to help for a bit.

Both rubber feet in.. upper holes not aligning. Gotta shove on the P-side to get them to line up. Yeah.. good feeling there.

Get it all buttoned up, fluids in, hoses on, everything back together.. start the truck. A little whine, not bad, went away. A minute or 2 later... A LEAK.

Drivers side upper mount where it attaches to the end bell of the rad was cracked underneath, and pinholed up top. Lovely.

Called the driver and the Co. back, driver was back to my house in 15 min to pick up Radiator #2.

She's sitting there now, all naked and exposed with bungee cords holding stuff out of the way, awaiting radiator #3 coming in from Baton Rouge tomorrow. (Yet again, another brand. Tech mentioned it is one of the higher rated ones). We'll see.

All that being said.. radiator.com has gone out of their way to try to make this work. Kudos.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:37 PM

Dang! That didn't turn out as easy as you thought after all. Sounds like a story from my life.

That is cool raditor.com is helping you out. Its kinda funny a couple of bad reviews and a company can be out of business the way word gets around these days. Keeps them honest.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:35 PM

radiator

i feel your pain i had a custom full aluminum radiator made for my 02 and i made 8-10 trips to the company to tweak it to get it just right. the bad part is they are 2hrs. away. but all done perfect fit worked with all the stock parts and aftermarket parts ie...flexalite fan shroud and the bd intercooler. hope they make it right for you.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:43 AM

Wow, that was not your day, wasn't it.
How do you feel after spending 2 hrs removing reservoir tank then find out it just "slides up", same for windshield washer.... been there done that.

I bought mine at the local junkyard, they sell brand new radiators for $ 220.00 and they work great, never had a complaint about it.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 AM

3rd radiator in.. Proliiance this time. Pulled the core support for a little more room, it dropped right in, lined right up, no leaks! /success!

5 days for a radiator... /headdesk

Now on to... other things like brakes
Old 12-20-2007, 07:12 AM

Good deal. Now try to do the ball joints......
Old 12-20-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Valv
Good deal. Now try to do the ball joints......
Gotta do all 4 of those... :P

Probably gonna pull the arms in the driveway and have someone press em for me. We'll see based on quotes.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:56 PM

I wasn't making fun of you, I was just giving you a pat in the back, you seemed to be quite a sport with your radiator "experience", I wish I have your patience.

Good luck with the joints they are a lot of "fun" .
Old 12-22-2007, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Valv
I wasn't making fun of you, I was just giving you a pat in the back, you seemed to be quite a sport with your radiator "experience", I wish I have your patience.

Good luck with the joints they are a lot of "fun" .
The lady on the other end of the phone out in cali heard my "patience" loud and clear when I didn't get my first radiator next day.

Just needed to settle down I guess.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Invader
Gotta do all 4 of those... :P

Probably gonna pull the arms in the driveway and have someone press em for me. We'll see based on quotes.
Is yours a 2wd or 4wd? I did mine in the driveway, took he better part of a day (starting at noon or 1pm, I never start early), that was the first time I did front end work. Did all four tie rods as well. Just rented a balljoint press, and had a good sized ratchet and snipe, and it worked out quite well. Once you figure out which cups and spacers to use, its cake. Second side goes a lot quicker!
Old 12-23-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
He He, you'll learn about the Dodge dealers real fast. Had a decent one here in town...now the "new" owner wants $90.00 just to look at my truck. Forget that. Luck, Kurt