24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Pressure in the fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigIron70
No problem as long as all the old gastkets were removed with the old injectors. I use a little dab of grease on a wooden dowel to pull the gastket out if in doubt. Or mirror and flashlight to make sure gastket is in place and lying flat on cylinders #6.
I noticed I had a little bit of a hard start this morning with a little puff of white smoke... now I knew something was not right...

I went back a check the old injectors I removed and they all had their copper washer... pulled the 5th and 6th injector and they both had their copper washers in place.. I reinstalled them and remembered that I had locked them down before pushing the cross over tube back in... big mistake! I dropped them in and pushed in the cross tube then locked down the injectors this time... and problem solved!

Thanks for the advice on the wooden dowel and grease...

it blows my mind that something that small has such a big impact on the way this motor runs
Old 11-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I agree, I have changed many injectors over the years but always double check everything before tightening down the valve cover. One loose injector bolt or nut will cause a problem down the road. Always torque every bolt to spec and follow the procedure. You'll never have a problem that way. Final torque I always use metal paint marker and just dab paint on the bolt. I do that with head bolts also. Saves time and problems later knowing it was torqued to spec..