24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Power Steering Pump + Steering Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:08 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power Steering Pump + Steering Gear

For the last month or so I have had a steering gear thats leaking and have been adding power steering fulid to it regulary tell i can get it in the shop to have it fixed. Question is now it seems my pump is leaking at the top near the cap I did accidenlty over fill it the other day is this why its leaking cause from the pressure its pushing it out of the cap? if so should i worry about having the pump also looked at or should i clean it up and try to draw some of the fluid out. It is goin into the shop next week finally I am tired of this stupid leak. Thanks Jason
Old 08-27-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just draw some fluid out of the resivor with a turkey baster.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:23 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Ok had it steering gear box is goin in and iam ordering a dss to stop this fix once and for all. But checking with PSC web sight there not shiping them and are out of stock and I need this fixed pronto tonto so would it be wise to just take to a shop have it done and then order the dss?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your convinced it bad....yes. Over filling will create leaks as fluid expands when hot.
But I have seen the DSS save a lot of poor condition steering boxes.

PSC had a bad design problem on the Dodge boxes and pulled them off the market till fixed. (so I was told).

I bgt. a battery filler 'bulb' for about $2.00 and use it @ 10,000 miles... just to suck out PS fluid from reservoir and replace with new. Always looks really black & bad. 4x4's are hard on Pwr steering and the fluid is usually neglected till problems arise. Worth taking care of regularly, IMO, as this fluid is part of brake power assist system.

RJ
Old 08-28-2006, 08:57 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Thanks rjohnson ya its toast its had fluid draining out of it for awile now and I am tired of the mess its been making so it goes in the shop on thursday for a new box. From what I have been told once they start leaking its not really worth it to r&r the seals since its probilly wore around them is why it started in the first place. Thats a good thing I did not spend the change on that steering gear shesh thats bad for them too hurts a company name when you get branded like that. Ya I am firm beliver that the fluid should be changed out i use a old turkey baster to take the old stuff out and fresh it every time i do a fuel filter. Ya an on a side note me drawed out the extra fluid and top it back to normal and its not pushing the fluid out any more guess I learned my lesson there I guess when I got to the point were I did not care about how much I put in I shoulud have niped it in the bud sooner.