24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil/Fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil/Fuel smell

Great web site, long time guest reader, resent register

Problem, I have a strong oil or fuel smell coming from engine compartment, seems to be on the driver side. I have searched everywhere for a leak, but have found none. The truck runs great. I purchased this truck new in Jan 2002 and have not had any problems with it. (69,000 miles)

Any suggestions, Thanks in advance
Old 01-26-2005, 09:46 AM

Have you changed the oil recently? IF so, did you replace it with Rotella? There's a reason some people call it "RoSmella". The stuff stinks for the first few hundred miles then wears off.
Might check your puke bottle too.
GOod luck and welcome to the site!
-Dave
Old 01-26-2005, 10:39 AM

whats a puke bottle?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the reply,

I take the truck to the dealer to have the oil changed, I don't know what they use.

I did dump the vent bottle when this smell first started, it was about half full. The smell still reminds??????
Old 01-26-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Jerrod
whats a puke bottle?
The cankcase vent catch bottle on the front of the engine behind the fan. Tends to fill up and puke oil which gets blown all over by the fan.

The Rotella stink is different than diesel fuel. Take your fuel cap off and stick you nose in there and compare. If it's different and more North-Jersey smelling ;-) than it's probably cankcase fumes.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:56 PM

One of the things I find remarkable about the crankcase oil is that it doesn't smell like diesel fuel. Mine doesn't smell even after 7000 miles. I've always thought that Rotella stinks too, but it never smelled like diesel fuel to me. You say it's on the driver's side. The driver's side of the engine contains all of the components in the fuel delivery chain. I'd go in there with a clean hand, and start wiping around each component in the fuel system and sniffing. Even the smallest leak will show up that way. Do you or the dealer change the fuel filter? If it was him, it's possible that he wasn't as neat as he could have been and spilled some fuel.

Originally posted by cditrani
.....The Rotella stink is different than diesel fuel. Take your fuel cap off and stick you nose in there and compare. If it's different and more North-Jersey smelling.....
...You're right! It smells just like driving thru Elizabeth ....
Old 01-26-2005, 01:21 PM

Thanks Commatoze,

I will take your advice and get in there and inspect it better.

I normally change the fuel filter, as the dealer prices are a little high.

The only reason I let them change the oil is because they keep sending me coupons to do it for $35.95.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:07 PM

The rubber drain flaps to your cowl intake air are probably hangin open. This alows the engine bay air to go right in to the cab air vent system. These flaps are hidden behind the hood hinge plates that bolt to the sides of the cowl. I pulled the cowl cover off and seam sealed them shut except for a small spot for water drainage and smell is 90 percent gone! Some day I'll make up a pair of light coil springs to fit between the hinge plate and flap to fix it for good.
Be Well.