24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Nv5600

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nv5600

So my 6 speed has 200k on it and I clean fluid yearly and I usually put around 12k miles on a year for last few years. I already know the synch's and blocks are getting worn and going out. Truck is driveable I have just been taking it easy. I started saving up a year ago since I did want to put in a rebuild just due to the I know its coming just didn't known when.
I will put in a new clutch. this time a DD3250. this clutch has around 50k miles on it.

I know there are some places. Bluem and standard but I would like someone closer incase there are issues. I have called all Performance Diesel shops in oregon and northern California.

Sourceautomotive in Portland uses a rebuilder in portland.

performance authority in Bend and Corvallis Oregon said they can rebuild them. But when asked the first guy I spoke to said yes I think we can.?? I would think they would know this tranny and know exactly if they do not can.

Bend, Oregon a shop named VP gear works that specializes in dan,spicer,eaton etc. all diff's and transfer cases and manual tranny's only.
I guess this shop does alot of offroad desert trucks.
the guys was very knowledgeble on the tranny and the issues. he uses Torque king parts. 1 Year unlimit miles $2450. not including labor of removing and replacing.

my local mechanic/friend that just did my complete Hvac and new ac system
that did work for chrysler/dodge prior to opening his new shop has
30 years in the business. an ASE Master Technician, Toyota Master Technician and Chrysler Certified 3 & 4 in four categories.
he too is knowledge on this tranny but doesn't rebuild them however has used
Jaspers engine/transmissions since owning his buisness and is very pleased
with everything he has done with jaspers.

they offer a 3 year 100k mile warranty. I'm currently waiting for his son to email me a price on this.

sorry for the long thread.
looking for personel info if you have used anyone of these. do not want input if you are going to bash and do not have actual experience.

if i use a independent rebuilder what should i ask and look for

Thanks
Old 05-18-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have 350000K on mine it was scratching 2ed and 3ed just redone the clutch new Southbend conofe same as before. Now no problems shifts fine the first clutch never felt right the new one really has a light pedal. But in the same boat when it comes to rebuild I now the synchroes are harder to find the supply is drying up as well replacement parts. You would think there would be someone in the industry making better parts ?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Yes its too bad that so many internal components these days are coming from overseas which affects reliability. But nonetheless, I dont see why you should need a rebuild at all. 200k miles is nothing for a tranny like that, and especially if you regularly change the fluid. It sounds more along the lines that the pilot may be dragging and causing some shifting issues, but above all if you're truly having shifting issues then a DD is not what you want.

All that said, its your truck and if you're really in tune with your vehicle and you think you want to check out the blocks and syncros then maybe thats all you'll need, keeping the gears and bearings if they're fine. I dont have any personal experience with any particular shops whom I'd suggest but if I was in your shoes and knowing how I am about my stuff, I think I may just consider a fully rebuilt unit shipped to my door. I'm never really a fan of local shop's since doing things wrong is all too common.