24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Noisy pulleys....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noisy pulleys....

They're driving me nuts!!!! Is there anything I can do to quiet them down? When the engine is running there is this high pitched "tinny" metalic sound that I thought sounded like a heat shield vibrating. Well, I'm pretty sure I tracked it down to the accessory pulleys (one them at least). A shot of WD-40 gave temporary relief but was short lived. Anyone else have this problem or can suggest a permanent cure? it really sounds like crap and is quite annoying.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I would like to know to since I have a sound like you are describing. It's been driving me nuts. BTW which pulley was it?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:44 PM

Don't know..... I sprayed them all at the same time.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While not a permanent fix, a bar of soap has always worked for me. Yes just rub the bar soap on the surface of the belt that makes contact with the pulleys. If you have room, do it while the engine is running and just push the bar of soap on the underside of the belt. BE CAREFUL!! If you do it this way. Otherwise just rub, rotate belt, rub some more.

The cause may just be dirt and build up. No easy way to take care of this other than cleaning the pulleys after removing the belt(s). A good solvent and a brass wire brush, then let dry. May want to replace the belts at the same time.

By the way, try the Goodyear "Gator" belt. It stops that annoying squeak or chirp when the engine is shut off.

Hope this helps, Kevin
Old 06-30-2004, 09:17 PM

I HATE that chirp...

I took my air dam off for my winch carrier... BAD idea...

all kinds of crap on the inside of my belt.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Banned

siliconr spray or replace the belt
Old 07-01-2004, 02:56 PM

I had the same problem on my old 95 V10 2500. Belt dressing, silicone, & soap never lasted very long. Finally bought a new belt for it, brass wire wheeled the pulleys with the dremel, and blasted 'em clean with Gumout. Put the new belt on and it was quiet as could be....also kept the old belt in the truck as a spare.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:14 PM

Well, apperantly, the source of my noise was two-fold. I bought a new belt and installed it and that cleared up the tell-tale squeaky sheave sound. That just made it even easier to hear the tinny metalic sound even clearer. I crawled all over under the engine with the truck running and couldn't pin down the source. As I walked around the truck, I could hear the noise even louder near the passenger side behind the cab. Seemed to be coming from the muffler area.

Using the make-shift broom handle stethascope trick yielded an almost deafening amplification of the noise. Based on this, I can only conclude that there is something inside the muffler that is loose and vibrating or causing a whistling type of sound. Ahhh Ha!! An excuse to replace the muffler.... and if I'm going to do that, I might as well upsize it to 4".... but then I'll need that new 4" exhaust from the turbo back.

Hmmm.... maybe that pesky muffler is sending me a sign to get rid of it altogether and straight-pipe it. Guess I'd better start looking around and pricing systems.....
Old 07-02-2004, 08:01 PM

Using the make-shift broom handle stethascope trick...
Ok just curious, probably like most who are reading this, how did you pull this one off? Sounds like agood trick, please expalin.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by dodgediesel4x4
Ok just curious, probably like most who are reading this, how did you pull this one off? Sounds like agood trick, please expalin.
Take a broom handle, dowel, piece of wood, etc.... and place one end of it on whatever you want to listen to. Place the other end of the stick up to your ear. Ta-da!!!!

The stick tranfers the vibrations from the source through the stick and upto your ear. It lets you "listen" to different items and see where the sound is the loudest.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:45 PM

Ok, well I guess I was taking more into account than I should have. The gf is a RN and when you said stethascope, I was thinking more into it. My bad. Its more like the 2 tin cans and a string "phone".
Old 07-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
There is such a thing as an automotive stethoscope. I have one. Instead of the thing that you hold against your skin, it has a long metal rod to carry the vibrations. It has the same earpiece as a medical stethoscope. Sears has them. Really nice, beats holding a stick or a piece of garden hose to your ear.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:26 PM

On mine it was the belt tensioner assembly. I was able to locate just an oem pully but the prob in the end was the tensioner.