24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

no throttle response on 98 dodge diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The PO216 code is telling you there is a failure in the timing circuit of the VP-44 injection pump. This was the most common failure in these pumps and was usually but not always related to a lift pump failure. I have lost three lift pumps and I am still on the original VP-44 so do not think it will not run without the lift pump, it will. As far as Arabiejunior, I have no idea what he is talking about? The turbo has nothing to do with the throttle on any diesel and is just the opposite, the turbo pressure is a result of throttle actuation.
With that many codes that seem unrelated I would clear the codes and take it for a ride and see what comes back. Do a cold reboot on the computers, disconnect the batteries and turn the lights on and leave it for a couple hours. Come back and turn the lights off and reconnect the batteries. Check again for codes before driving it and erase any that are there. Drive it normally, do not hammer on, just drive normally since the computers will have to relearn the strategy. Check for codes again afterwards and see what is there and report that.

Rick
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This does sound like dead pedal to me but before we get too panicked, the link below will take you to one of the best set of VP44(your injection pump) diagnostic procedures I have ever come cross.

http://m.bluechipdiesel.com/site/vp4...ostichelp.html
Old 03-23-2013, 11:06 AM

Hello Rick!. Thanks for the reply!. The codes have in the computer have been erased and the battery has been disconnected.This truck has had the update kit installed for the in-tank fuel pump module installed before we pruchased the truck. This pump works well still and has the proper flow rate and pressure(we tested it). The tranny has been rebuilt and the TPS switch was replaced. We also added a ground wire from the mount plate on the tps sitch to the engine. Could the problem be the computer because of the chip that the previous owners son installed and then removed it before we bought it from the dealer?. I don't know but we are running out of ideas short of this one and a wire somewhere making a bad connection.
Thanks
Tim Shaw
Old 03-23-2013, 01:41 PM

Tim, you are thinking along the same lines as I am. I want to see how many of those codes come back. It may well be just a cumulative effect of too many things being done and the computer needed to be reset. That would be almost too good to be true but checking it costs nothing but a couple hours of time. I could also be the ECM is going bad but that does not happen very often. IF the codes come back then disconnect the batteries again, no need for the light deal. Go to the both the ECM on the engine and the PCM on the firewall and unplug the plugs one at a time and look for any corrosion in the plugs. Even if you do not see any plug them in and out several times to clean all the pins. Check the grounds to the body from the computers. Then plug them all in and hook up the batteries again. Another free thing to check. If you are still getting multiple codes then it is time to start thinking harder. Is it always the same codes? If so then you want to be sure at least the easy ones are checked off. If it is different codes then suspect a bad PCM. Basically what I am trying to do is to narrow things down using the freebie method. Also read up on the Bluechip link that Tallguy mentioned, good info on there.