24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No shift into 4H !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No shift into 4H !!

Has any body out there had this problem. Mine will shift into 4L N 2H but will not go into 4H. Worked fine last time I used it , then last night it just decided it did not want to go. Tried the old roll back and forth trick that every body knows you gotta do with these trucks and the 4x4 light comes on in 4L, but it just won't go into 4H. No grinding or anything its just like hitting a brick wall. what gives?
Old 12-17-2007, 04:28 PM

What is the procedure (I guess from the owners manual or otherwise) that outlines how to shift into each mode properly? Anyone have this info or know where I can get it...? this may help...

during a recent snowstorm shifting around for me was a bit on the tight side; so this thread will help....
Old 12-17-2007, 04:34 PM

For 4H all you have to do is shift while the rear tires are NOT spinning. If they are it's gonna grind up a storm...I usually just let off the throttle or push the brake if i'm not moving.

Shifting into 4L is easy for me as well. Put the truck in neutral, grab 4L, and back into D I go.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:35 PM

To the original poster, have you gotten under the truck to see if the linkage is moving all the way? I'm not well versed on the dodge 4x4 system, but I can only imagine that some adjustment exists and perhaps its out of adjustment and not pushing the CAD system all the way into 4H.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:17 PM

Just found the problem. pinch block on the bottom of the shifter had slid down the shaft that connects the shift lever to the transfer linkage. Kinda a goober way of putting it all together but it was a simple fix.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
For 4H all you have to do is shift while the rear tires are NOT spinning. If they are it's gonna grind up a storm...I usually just let off the throttle or push the brake if i'm not moving.

Shifting into 4L is easy for me as well. Put the truck in neutral, grab 4L, and back into D I go.
So do you have the tranny in neutral when you shift from 2H to 4H? and the truck is stationary & not moving at all?

I thought I read on another post as the truck is moving very slowly go from D to N on the auto stalk, then as it's rolling very slowly to do the shift from 2H to 4H with the tranny in N...then after the shift to 4H put it back into D.

I wish I had an owner's manual with my truck when I bought it
Old 12-18-2007, 05:11 PM

4H is shift on the fly. I've shifted mine into 4H as high as 60mph, but the key is to make sure that there is NO slipping.

For instance: The other night I put my truck in gear and the tires started slipping just idling. Grabbed 4H, but forgot to push the brake and it grinded. It did that because the front and rear were moving at different speeds e.g. slipping.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
4H is shift on the fly. I've shifted mine into 4H as high as 60mph, but the key is to make sure that there is NO slipping.

For instance: The other night I put my truck in gear and the tires started slipping just idling. Grabbed 4H, but forgot to push the brake and it grinded. It did that because the front and rear were moving at different speeds e.g. slipping.
Exactly. I always shift into 4h on the fly. I just let off on the throttle for a second and shift.

Sunir... 4L is completly different. In 4L your gearing is 3 times lower than normal. Which mean for instance let say in high your engine revolutions 10 times to rotate your tires once. However in Low you will have 30 revs to rotate the tires once. So if you don't take your truck out of drive when you shift to 4L you will mesh your gears pretty bad if your on the fly! Remember that. It all makes sense if you think about what the drive train is doing.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by chainzaw
Exactly. I always shift into 4h on the fly. I just let off on the throttle for a second and shift.

Sunir... 4L is completly different. In 4L your gearing is 3 times lower than normal. Which mean for instance let say in high your engine revolutions 10 times to rotate your tires once. However in Low you will have 30 revs to rotate the tires once. So if you don't take your truck out of drive when you shift to 4L you will mesh your gears pretty bad if your on the fly! Remember that. It all makes sense if you think about what the drive train is doing.
interesting...good posts guys. Good to see we have some knowledgable folks to help

So for 2Hto 4H I can just shift the lever while I'm coasting along Fr and R wheels moving at the same speed...like what I'd do is get the truck moving slowly and with my foot off the gas and brake I could then shift? Wouldn't need to move the tranny from D to N, so just leave it in D and do the shift while moving, correct?

How about if the struck is stationary then, I can shift from 2H to 4H with the tranny in D and my foot on the brake? or will the tranny need to be in N here as well?

The only one I'd have to go from D to N is when I'm moving very slowly and want to go into 4L, right? same rule goes for if the truck is stationary and I wanted to go into 4L?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sunir
interesting...good posts guys. Good to see we have some knowledgable folks to help
I wouldn't go that far
So for 2Hto 4H I can just shift the lever while I'm coasting along Fr and R wheels moving at the same speed...like what I'd do is get the truck moving slowly and with my foot off the gas and brake I could then shift? Wouldn't need to move the tranny from D to N, so just leave it in D and do the shift while moving, correct?
Pretty much. You don't have to be moving slowly, but you just can't be slipping.
How about if the struck is stationary then, I can shift from 2H to 4H with the tranny in D and my foot on the brake? or will the tranny need to be in N here as well?
Leave it in D, N, whatever ya want. Doesn't even matter if your foot is on or off the brake as long as the tires are not slipping.
The only one I'd have to go from D to N is when I'm moving very slowly and want to go into 4L, right? same rule goes for if the truck is stationary and I wanted to go into 4L?
More or less.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:25 PM

on the 06 it tells me as follows

4h shift on fly under 20mph
4l 2-5 mph rolling shift to N firmly move lever to 4L (grinding is normal) put back into drive.
i cannot see the grinding being normal but i guess they say it is?
funny how it does not do it in 4h(grinding) but 4L when you shift into it man o man i feel like i am hurting my truck...
Old 12-20-2007, 05:32 PM

Thats because 4L and 4H use different gears, and the transfercase will dis-engage the high gear just fine but will grind with the low gear as it tries to mesh the two.