HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help! Transfer case won't shift into "2H"...

Old 12-23-2002, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Transfer case won't shift into "2H"...

Good evening everyone,<br><br>My transfer case on my 1st Gen. will not shift back into &quot;2H&quot;. It will however, shift into &quot;4L&quot;, &quot;4H&quot;, and Neutral without a problem. Everytime I come close to getting it shifted into &quot;2H&quot; it slips back into neutral or it won't shift out of neutral at all so to speak ??? Even if I'm lucky enough to get it shifted into &quot;2H&quot;, it doesn't seem to engage fully, and it often makes a chattering noise under load. I do want to mention I place my transmission in Neutral before I attempt to shift the transfer case from one mode to another mode. Is there something out of adjustment on the transfer case? Is their something I'm doing wrong??? Please help!!<br><br>Respectfully,<br><br>Nicholas R. Gajewski
Old 12-24-2002, 06:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Help! Transfer case won't shift into "2H"...

There is an adjustment on the linkage. On the passengers side of the transfer case. The linkage rod moves in the opposite direction that the shifter moves, so when you push shifter forward to 2H the rod moves backward. There are 2 nuts, loosen the nut toward the front of the truck about 1/2 inch. tighten the rearward nut to take up the slack. Over time, the linkage wears out and the bushings either fall out or become egg shaped instead of round on the inside. Adjust in 1/2 inch incriments until you get to the desired throw in the shifter.