24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Important upgrades, fixes and/or mods...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Important upgrades, fixes and/or mods...

Hey,

I am new to this forum and generally new to the CTD. I have purchased a 2002 Ram 2500 4x4 with 41,000 miles. I am looking for advice on what the most common upgrades, fixes and mods are that should be done to fix factory shortcomings and improve reliability and performance.

I am not really looking to race the truck or "soup" it up in anyways just looking to make sure I have a safe, reliable and well running truck for the long trips and getaways I will be taking with my family. The truck is a daily driver and will on occasion pull a 7500 lb trailer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Old 09-22-2003, 07:46 PM

Re:Important upgrades, fixes and/or mods...

First off, welcome to the site!

If you don't plan on any power upgrades, at least get yourself a set of gauges (EGT, Trans (if auto), Fuel Pressure & boost is just fun to watch) since you will be towing. Other than that, enjoy the ride! ;D ;D ;D

Tony
Old 09-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Banned

I highly recommend getting at least a fuel pressure gauge to keep tabs on the crappy fuel pumps they put on these trucks. If it's an auto, you could get a transmission temp gauge to keep an eye on it while your towing. An EGT gauge is right up there with the Fuel Pressure for importance. If you want to leave your truck stock, that's about it really. If you have the money and want a completely bullet proof truck, get an aftermarket transmission. That way, you'll never have to worry about a thing while towing or just general driving around town. Plus you'll get a lot more power to the ground. The most popular are ATS and DTT. There are others. Other than that, there's nothing else wrong with these trucks. Just keep an eye on your fuel pressure and EGT and you'll be fine. Oh yeah, a boost gauge is kinda nice so you can tell how your turbo is acting and how the truck is running. But it's not as important.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:55 PM

BigBlue,

Where can I find out more about the ATS and DTT trannys? Do they have a website?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Banned

DTT is www.dieseltrans.com

ATS is www.atsdiesel.com
Old 09-23-2003, 12:20 AM

I dont mean to step on any toes here.......You cant go wrong with DTT or ATS but, Suncoast has a pretty good reputation (from what Ive heard at least) and they are a little more local to you.

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/

For a fair comparison, spend a little time on the phone and talk to them all....
Old 09-23-2003, 01:41 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

ryker: I think that it will prove worthwhile to check your drivetrain and steering components on a regular basis. Checking U-joints and balljoints etc. Some of them do wear out quite fast, some of the aftermarket companies do offer these components with grease fittings.
Gauges are nice and help you determining if something is wrong. Using good oil and changing it on time, recommended lube filters etc are a must.

Have fun with your ride

AlpineRAM
Old 09-23-2003, 01:47 AM

keep up to date with quality filtration
Old 09-23-2003, 09:34 AM
LE

Check the front driveline u-joints, as they are prone to wear. This is caused by the lack of a front axle disconnect externally, which forces the front end to turn all of the time. There are some TSBs @ www.alldata.com you may wish to look into as well. It really is a great truck. LE
Old 09-23-2003, 09:58 AM

#1 Fuel pressure
#2 gauges Boost/pyro/and fuel pressure if not in step one! Also a trans temp if auto.

You said mild performance right
Get yourself an Edge EZ about 60 RWHP increase and takes the out of passing someone! The scotty 2 is also a really good way to reduce EGT's when towing. Found at http://www.scottyairsystems.com

Other then that the trans if abused will give in one day I would check out some local trucks if possible and grab a ride in a DTT truck that should make you ;D try to ride in others to ATS suncoast if anyone has one.