24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need Help for a friend...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Got It Running...but...

Cracked open #1,3,4 injector lines, she cranked a few times then lit off. Shut it down and tightened the lines, fired it up again.
Runs smooth for several seconds then...it kicks...smooths out...kicks etc. Almost like a carburator cough.
Now also the tach needle will drop to zero, then come back up to proper RPM, then drop again. My neighbor said this what the truck did prior to the filter change.

The check engine light is on also.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Registered

going to have to read the codes. Any one around with a smarty? This doesn't sound good. If the tack dropped to 0 while the truck was runnin it could the crank positioning sensor, but the vp could be bad also...
Old 11-19-2006, 04:22 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask your buddy this:

"Have you ever been just riding down the road minding your own business, next thing you know the truck is not running the same RPM, but is in fact idling?? You pushed and released the pedal a few times in confusion, then it just decided to respond normally like nothing was wrong?"

This is a common symptom called "Dead Pedal" it can be one of two things, with the circumstances as they are, it pretty much leaves one.........Failed Injection Pump.

It is of utmost importance that your friend get a fuel pressure gauge installed inside the cab of the truck so he can properly monitor the pressure and do his best to avoid this happening again. (if indeed that is what is happening)
Old 11-20-2006, 04:30 PM

Thumbs up

I'll have to ask him about the abouve question...but off hand I don't recall him stating anything like that, thanks.
I hope his Injector pump isn't bad...
Old 11-25-2006, 02:10 PM

Question New Trouble...?

Ok so his truck ran great for one day...the next morning NOTHING, just cranked.
With the key on the LP pump operates for 2 seconds like it should but when he cranks the engine nothing from the LP. (no more 20 second run)
Any ideas?
I read in his Cummins shop manual (very thick ) the ECM controls the LP but could this be the issue?
Thanks...
Old 11-25-2006, 02:35 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by HammerDown
Ok so his truck ran great for one day...the next morning NOTHING, just cranked.
With the key on the LP pump operates for 2 seconds like it should but when he cranks the engine nothing from the LP. (no more 20 second run)
Any ideas?
I read in his Cummins shop manual (very thick ) the ECM controls the LP but could this be the issue?
Thanks...
Usually when you bump the starter (or attempt to crank) the LP runs for about 25-30 seconds. ECM does control the operation of the LP, but not very common for them to crap out (not that they don't, just not common)

Still need to find someone with a way to read the codes.................
Old 11-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Registered

like pj said we need to read the codes. and that fuel pressure gauge would be nice. ( to know what the pressure is at the IP). ecm would be way down the list(but it would be on it) my moneys on cps or vp44. I'm sure you have cracked the lines at the injectors. right? but with out the codes were just stooting in the DARK
Old 11-26-2006, 08:13 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by P.J

Still need to find someone with a way to read the codes.................
How true...and I told him yesterday, the one day it "ran great"...he should have drove it to a dealer or the like and had the codes read!
Old 12-24-2006, 08:51 AM

Thumbs down Well A Month Later...

...and his truck is still down.

Looks like a bad Injector Pump (also)...I ran a 12V jumper to the new fuel pump for a test, got it to work. Fuel went to the Injectors but it would not start.

A Cummins repair shop in Bristol Pa. said he needs a new IP and LP and would go over the entire Truck...looking at a few grand easily!

Unless the installation isn't all that difficult...so what do you fellas think?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:51 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by HammerDown

A Cummins repair shop in Bristol Pa. said he needs a new IP and LP and would go over the entire Truck...looking at a few grand easily!
Hmmmmmmm.

This sounds like what I (and others) said 39 days ago, all the while being scolded by a now banned member for giving premature & bad advice.
?
I was actually told I should be ashamed for portraying myself as someone who somehow knew more than I really did.........

Anyway,

The VP-44 replacement can be difficult but NOT impossible with some planning time, the right tools and thought. There is a vast pool of information both here and on other forums and Dodge sites that can provide pretty much step by step instructions (with photos) on the removal and replacement. If it were me and I had the time to do it, (and lacked the funds to pay someone) I would jump on it. A second set of eyes (and brain) is a huge advantage in my opinion when working on vehicles.
The part itself can is readily available for about $1,100. Depending on your location I would solicit low cost or free (beer ) help from a compassionate fellow CTD owner. Like I said, that is region dependent, around here there are many guys who I know would give me a hand.

Good Luck.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HammerDown i am assuming you are from PA. there are a whole lot of DTR members in that area, look up the local Chapter and see if anyone is near you and could help with the VP44 replacement. Why don't you fill in your location and signature so we know where you are. We are always ready to work on Cummins, at least i am.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Banned

Well, looks like someone with a big mouth owes PJ 100$. lol
Instead of bad mouthing, just let the original poster decide what to do with all the advice. Would of made this thread a little shorter.
Good call PJ and everyone else that "helped".
Good luck with the installs.
Happy Xmas.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:59 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by daysel
Instead of bad mouthing, just let the original poster decide what to do with all the advice. D
Sounds like Scott is on the right track. I didn't see the PA part, he is in one of the top three areas in the US for Cummins enthusiast (behind TEXAS and the South East of course!)

Hammer, if your friend doesn't find someone to help, PM me.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:54 PM

Sorry fellas...location entered,
I'm a few minutes off I-95 just S. of the Philly International Airport. My neighbor (truck in question) lives down the street.
After hearing what Cummins wanted to fix the thing he looked like he was wakling around in a daze...lol

I'll see what direction he wants to go...but if he wants to tackle the job, any further help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

PS (if) someone is close, has the know-how and has what ever special tools required for the job...I'm quite sure he would tighten you up $$$.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

there are a couple of instructions on the web and in the Tech section.
here is ours https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1
and this one
http://www.nwbombers.com/membersites/kent/vp44.html
Get yourself edumacated before tackling this job. A lot of people have done it and say it isn't too hard.
Merry Christmas to all the great DTR members.

Quick Reply: Need Help for a friend...