24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need Help for a friend...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
here is the first post. sounds like it has a new filter in it to me.
Correct, he changed the fuel filter (after) the truck bucked hard and droped power, all the dash lights came on also but...then ran ok again.

Soooo he though the original fuel filter caused the (buck/power dive/etc)...and installed a new filter. Now no start.
I hope to be out there tomorrow or Sunday.

Thanks fellas.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK,,,,, OK,,,,, How about you guys knocking off the sarcasm and insults before you both get muted. This is not what this forum is here for. The thread has been reported once, so let's be civil.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:45 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually, keep it up and you'll all be gone. We will not stand for this kind of attitude on this site. Consider this your last warning.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered

sorry fellas, i shouldnt have joined in on the convo... and hammer down, im sorry we made your post into a arguing match
Old 11-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Try to check for codes and we will go from there.
I can without a doubt guarantee that the LP is bad, go to Cummins and get a Campaign pump. They are cheap, I just hope the VP44 is not shot.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:41 PM
P.J
Banned

I don't regret my advice, if it makes me look foolish or "more of a newb", so be it.

When backed into a corner (and/or put on the spot) I like to just default to offering a wager. I was certainly not wishing the guy needs new parts, just simply stating that more times than no that is the case. This is not just based on what I have heard and read, personal experience with my own 01.5 weighs in too.
It was my opinion when I owned a VP-44'd truck that I was perfectly happy with it staying on a steady diet of LP's, so long as the Injection pump kept going.

As I stated, it should be considered a preventative maintenance type thing. ESPECIALLY if you are not aware of the history of your fuel system.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Thanks to all you guys that kept your heads while you were being bashed with childish insults, some of you deserve a medal under the circumstances

I hope this thread can move forward now that I have removed the cause of the problem

Carry On
Old 11-18-2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
Try to check for codes and we will go from there.
I can without a doubt guarantee that the LP is bad, go to Cummins and get a Campaign pump. They are cheap, I just hope the VP44 is not shot.

...real quick, I spoke to him again late last nigh, the replacement pump he purchased (when I told him not, to just yet ) ...was some $160.00 from a local Cummins dealer.
The Dodge dealer wanted I (think) he said was over $500.00

I still want to make sure the old LP is infact bad/weak.

Thanks fellas...
Old 11-18-2006, 09:49 AM
P.J
Banned

Dealer only sells/installs the in-tank retro. That explains the vast price difference between prising.

The $160 was the price that everyone used to have to pay (and more) depending on where you got it. That is why people were recommending the "campaign" pump, same basic thing, much cheaper.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:39 PM

Thumbs up

Another Update...!

The original LP was in fact bad, installed the new one and was able to get fuel out of the top of the fuel filter housing (pipe plug)...so that's a good thing.
I cracked open all injectors and did the (short crank-let the LP run deal).
After about 5 attempts Fuel came out the front Injector line. Batteries were getting low on power, cranking too slow for me. The engine did buck once like it wanted to fire but between the slow cranking and the other injector lines still full with air I called it a night (getting dark fast).

Tomorrow I'll put a charge on the batts, and hopefully get fuel out of the other injector lines, and hope it fires.

Thanks for all the support...I'll post back tomorrow with any news.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:34 PM
P.J
Banned

Hmmmmmm.

Well, that's one step in the right direction (refer post #6)

Hope I was in fact wrong at this point, but riding around with little or no pressure (dead LP) to your injection pump will usually result in a sharp lightening of the wallet.

If you had access to a scanner, you could avoid all the rest of the troubleshooting. Let us know what you find out, I am pretty curious now.......
Old 11-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Glad to hear that you got fuel.
Now when you get it running take it to your local auto parts store and get it scanned for codes.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by P.J
Hmmmmmm.

Well, that's one step in the right direction (refer post #6)
LOL or #2!
Old 11-19-2006, 09:04 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by P.J

Tell him to check for codes using the key trick.
I could use more info about the above...

I'll check back later, going outside to see if I can this truck running.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:16 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by HammerDown
I could use more info about the above...

I'll check back later, going outside to see if I can this truck running.
I edited myself in the next post, the "trick" was not available until model year 2000. (you can check out the tech facts up on the top of the page there to see how it is done on the newer trucks)
It is just a customer way retrieve error codes stored in the truck's ECM. That is why I was saying to find someone with a scanner (or get the truck to an Autozone, they will read it for free).

The likely code at this point would be the P0216. It's bad news 100% of the time when that code is thrown.

Last edited by P.J; 11-19-2006 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Grammer

Quick Reply: Need Help for a friend...